Aftermarket speakers & a factory HU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket speakers & a factory HU?

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
I need some advise for a speaker upgrade in my 99 Sport. The factory speakers are crap as most may already know. I have the intention of installing a new HU, but not at this time, or at least until I have an alarm installed and then it will become a complete sound system. But in the meantime, I need better speakers and I only would like them to run off the factory deck. The factory deck seems to have enough power to run some aftermarket speakers, but I am unsure of the wattage of speaker I am looking for to match the deck power. It has no factory sub, and no factory amp…or if it did, I’d be hella surprised because of the poor sound quality.

I would like to keep the speakers in the long run for when I do upgrade the deck, and amplify the subs and mids. But what is the stock deck power per ch for the 99? I looked at the “quick reference for audio forum” but did not see any mention for the newer head units.

Also, if it did have a “underpowered” amp, where should I begin to look for it in the 99 X?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.
I am quite diverse in the audio world, I just don’t have any info pertaining to the factory spec’s…

Revised Question?

Sorry, If I would of read a little bit more on the quick reference for audio forum, I could have answered most of my questions.

I guess the question I have now is how do I know if I have the "Base system" or the "premium system" in my 99 X? Do I need to pull the headunit or speakers for verification of this?

Thanks!

Jason

Back