Air bag readiness light flashing code 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air bag readiness light flashing code 37

Glock40cal

Reaction score
City, State
St. Charles, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' XLS
I have a 2000 Explorer XLS 4.0L V6 OHV 4x4 with 71,100 miles that just started flashing the Airbag readiness light at me. Sequence is 3 flashes pause 7 flashes pause then it starts over again. It does this for about a minute then the light stays on. I assume that the code is #37 but i can not find any air bag codes on the net. Anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LFC 3-7 is for an improper voltage level in the side airbag on the passenger side of your Explorer. This could be caused by a short to ground or, more likely, a high resistance connection between the Restraints Control Module and the PS side airbag assembly.

Even if your truck doesn't have the optional side airbags, it still has the wiring for them and uses a yellow resistor cap to simulate the side airbag. Same story - probably a poor connection at the RCM or at the resistor cap under the passenger seat.

Rwenzing and Brooklynbay thank you. When i read your post the first thought that came to my mind was that when i took my daughter out of the back seat her sippy cup had rolled under the passenger seat.

I just went out to take a look and sure enough i found a yellow wire harness connector hanging down from under the passenger side seat. Must have been a bad connection because the light does not come on anymore. Got it nice and secured and out of the way now.

Thank you both for your help. Theres no telling how much agrevation and money you saved me.

i get a lot of those codes as i am always moving passenger seat in my sport....but atleast I know what causes it

Just wanted to add some information.

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport.

I also had an airbag light problem and a 3 7 code.

It was exactly what was mentioned above. A loose connection.
Both the passenger and driver seats have a yellow connector.
The passenger side connector was loose. I disconnected and then reconnected it. I also taped the connector to the bottom of the seat.

On the passenger side foot compartment, there is a kick panel which I removed. Behind the kick panel is a module and other wires. I pushed them in.

As I ran the car and tied to tighten the connection, the light stayed on but when I turned the car off and restarted the car. My airbag light went off and stayed off. I tried to tape all the wires and connections in place so that they would remain stable.

Hope this helps others that have the same problem.

Thank you for the information..failed inspection and was so frustrated...this forum helped me and my husband figure out the problem...my husband said forums like this is so helpful to us consumers..

I have the same trouble code on my 2001 Sport. I removed the passengers seat to facilitate changing the body mounts and found the white wire was completely broken off right at the airbag sensor. There's no way to reconnect the wire. Has anyone else had this broken wire problem? Can you buy a new sensor with pigtail wire attached or do you have to buy the whole wiring harness?

Very easy get one from a salvage yard, or on the classified ads here. Splice it in and you should be golden.

I never thought about a salvage yard. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

A late thank you...

Thank God for this forum! I bought my Explorer used last year and I love it! However, I don't know how much I'd love it if not for this forum! I am having this airbag light issue right now, and I am so excited to solve another small problem thanks to this forum! Thank you all!:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I'm going to look for that yellow pain in the seat (or under as it may be) right now! ;)

Back