Air only coming through defrost - After thermostat housing replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air only coming through defrost - After thermostat housing replacement

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLS
2001 ford explorer XLS, 4.0 sohc

Okay, so I know I have seen this issue around the forums before but I can't seem to find it.

The air set on max will not blow through vents, only through the defrost. It worked fine before I began performing a radiator flush/thermostat replacement.... in which I discovered a pretty sweet leak from the thermostat housing..

When changing the T-housing I did the following (I like the room when working):
I disabled battery
took the intake off
took serpentine belt off (replaced it new)
alternator off
various hoses and electrical connectors (replaced upper/lower rad hoses, small upper and the lower thermostat housing hoses)

Installed the new housing and put everything back together.
Gently put in the sensors and then I cracked one of the sensors (accidentally over-tightened)

So then I did it all over again with a new housing and new sensors...
Everything put back together and resumed my radiator flush, car starts and runs fine, check for leaks... notice there is a real tiny leak from top of one of the lower housing bolts. Shut it down and try to gently snug it up and the dang bolt broke. So, dealing with that.. (It's been a friggin journey...)

Anyway, in the meantime, while the car was running I noticed I had this issue with the air and I'm assuming it's something to do with a vacuum hose I must have bumped or broken.. but I'm not positive. Anyone know where the basic starting point for this problem is?

I just changed my blend door actuator before doing this so I was excited about hot air again... ughhh.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely it is just a vac line. Did you check them all, even the vac ball on the pass fender liner? It runs up to the firewall near the A/C accumulator, which is near the area you was working.

More than likely it is just a vac line. Did you check them all, even the vac ball on the pass fender liner? It runs up to the firewall near the A/C accumulator, which is near the area you was working.

I'm pretty sure I put everything back together that I touched. Especially since I did it all about 3 or 4 times this week haha.. (and likely will be doing it again to get this friggin snapped bolt out of the housing) So I will definitely go through carefully and look around again to be sure.

I actually don't even know where my vacuum ball is - I just learned about it in another thread... I will also try to find that and check it out as well.

I can't imagine it is anything else than a vacuum somewhere. I hope I didn't snap or loosen one of the brittle electrical wires in 1 of the 7 or so connectors I was disconnecting.

You found Turdle's thread, good deal. That thread should put you on track to trace the lines, connectors, and what not's in the vac system. I would concentrate around the areas you worked first, then look elsewhere after. It's just a PITA time consuming thing to deal with, but eventually, you will find it, and will be an easy fix I'm sure.

You found Turdle's thread, good deal. That thread should put you on track to trace the lines, connectors, and what not's in the vac system. I would concentrate around the areas you worked first, then look elsewhere after. It's just a PITA time consuming thing to deal with, but eventually, you will find it, and will be an easy fix I'm sure.

Right on - thanks for the tips. Found that thread right after I posted

Can't be more of a pain in the ass then this housing has become. lol

Think I found my leak. :)

BTW e-cigarettes make a great smoke tester Lmao.

Good call on the ball... Now wondering the best fix.

IMG_20181130_195832.jpg

Ah just pops right out... I guess I'll replace this hose and see where that lands me

15436299750066578537534606934420.jpg

Back