• Register Today It's free!

alignment question

iggy1718

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 2Dr 4.0 OHV
I am having some funny tire wearing issues. I had my truck aligned and still having the same issues. Was told that the passenger side camber was maxed out and it would always pull that direction. Hadnt had these problems before. I was looking at the upper control arms and noticed that the camber bolts were unevenly set. Should the two camber bolts on the upper control arm be close to the same position when all tighened up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are the ball joints?

I posted a similar question about camber washers in the upper control arm how to thread.
I would have to agree with the above thread is there any thing else that is worn out?
If you are all ready "maxed out" then I would think you will need to get some camber adjusters.
Did they say how far it was off?

I took it in this morning and they told me that the driver side ball joint was bad. They tried to show it to me but I honestly didnt see any movement when they man handled the tire and shoke it. Everytime I go into this place they tell me something else is worn. Last 2 times it was the hub bearings. Nows its the ball joint. That particular ball joint is only a yr old. I replaced it cause I wanted the grease fittings cause I was in water alot back then. Tomorow I will be tackling the ball joint and than back for the alignment on friday AM. I really wish I had my own alignment machine.

I took it in this morning and they told me that the driver side ball joint was bad. They tried to show it to me but I honestly didnt see any movement when they man handled the tire and shoke it. Everytime I go into this place they tell me something else is worn. Last 2 times it was the hub bearings. Nows its the ball joint. That particular ball joint is only a yr old. I replaced it cause I wanted the grease fittings cause I was in water alot back then. Tomorow I will be tackling the ball joint and than back for the alignment on friday AM. I really wish I had my own alignment machine.

I hear ya, I was in the same boat with my ex. Is it just the one side that's having camber issues or both? If it's both, you might as well replace the upper and lower ball joints while everything is apart. I believe moog makes a kit for around $200 that includes all 4 ball joints as well as upper arms that allow ball joint replacement (the original upper arms have fixed ball joints). For the record, I never see movement in the tire when I grab and shake it either. Usually the steering rack moves before I see any play in the ball joints. However, you can usually hear a clunking or feel something is loose when they go. Another bigee is uneven tire wear.

sometimes it is a bit harder to get the caster and camber to line up, with a tt, it might be maxed out.
the camber and caster washers do not always have to be in the same position , cause if the front of the upper arm needs to be adjusted it is a twist of the bolt with the offset washer that adjusts it,

I am having some funny tire wearing issues. I had my truck aligned and still having the same issues. Was told that the passenger side camber was maxed out and it would always pull that direction. Hadnt had these problems before. I was looking at the upper control arms and noticed that the camber bolts were unevenly set. Should the two camber bolts on the upper control arm be close to the same position when all tighened up?

Depends... one piece or two piece upper control arm? It's possible, but if everything else is tight (i.e. ball joints, which apparently aren't) there should be plenty of adjustment remaining.

maxed which way???

First ,it would be very rare to find your washers to match, the front and rear bolts will differ to set caster (another critical alignment angle).

second, it is not hard to tweak these spindles, a curb will do it.
a bent spindle will almost always cause an un-correctable negative camber. Cure: replace spindle

If your problem is positive camber it is a ride height issue.
Cure: adjust torsion bars

But first be sure all ball joints are sound.

Thanks for the help guys. I did have a bad lower ball joint. I talked to the tech that was doing the job and answered a couple of my questions about the actual alignment stuff. I am curious if anyone knows why ford went from a 2 piece upper control arm to a single piece?

Back