• Register Today It's free!

Alignment?

rvaedge

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0
Do solid axles ever need to be aligned. It seem that because my left rear sags (like all explorers) that it would cause the tire to wear unevenly. If a solid axle can or is suppose to be aligned, can any shop do it, and is it any more expensive than a usual alignment. This is probably a dumb question and for all I know every time you get an alignment they align the rear 8.8 axle, but i have no idea. Reason being, I am putting new leaf springs on , shackles, doing a TT and putting 31x10.5's on, and I dont want to have the new tires wearing all goofy from the beginning. i want to get all the alignment as good as it can get. Thanks in advance for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe they need aligning unless you have hit something major or were hit. As for the sag, it probably isn't the direct cause. When you say "unevenly"... what do mean... outside edge, inside edge or patches. Uniform edge wear is usually alignment although it could be cause by poor side structure and the tire rolling a bit on it side on corners. If you are getting patches, then it is suspension... the tire is "bouncing" down the road. This is usually caused by weak suspension parts primarily shocks... at least that's from my past experiences in this domain.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I should have been more specific. I havent actually experienced any uneven wear because of the sag, I was just wondering if it could cause it. Hopefully the new leaf springs I'm putting on will get rid of that sag for a while (until they start to sag) and I wont have to worry about it. Any other input would be great. Thanks guys!

Solid axles can't be aligned..and don't need to be. The axle will always keep the tire perpendicular to the road unless your axle has serious issues. Sagging has to do with worn leaf springs, but won't create uneven wear.

solid rear axles can't be aligned. But they can be centered and such during the alignment. it the best way i know to center a rear axle is to have it done by the align tech. When I have had to do them at the shop I work at we charge more for this cause its not usually part of the alignment. I would have it done after you swap the leafs if it bugs you that much. If not it wont cause any problem unless you have it way out of whack when you put it back in after the leaf swap.

There is really no way to align the rear axle. Correct me if I'm wrong, Joe, but don't you essentially have to set the front wheels in-line with the rears with a solid rear axle to get it to track straight?

Kinda if your rear axle is way outa wack it will cause it to track funny. The rear axle doesnt have any toe or camber caster adjustments. But if the axle is not centered it could cause you toe and camber to be out in the rear. So this is where losening the rear axle so you can move it around will help get the toe and camber back. Which will help it track better. Make any sense?

When I put my new 31s on I had the front end align, and I believe they did something to the rear as well, but it was not an alignment. I just had my tires rotated and I asked them how they looked and then told me everything was fine, no un-eveness.

there is no way to align a rear axle unless you moved it when mounting new leaf springs, so need to measure it with a tape, as far as tired wear you can have rear tire wear more if one of your half axle shafts is worn down at the bearing lip but then you would feel a play when you raise the truck, the wheel would move a bit up and down however this can't be diagnosed like a bearing problem other wise explorer sage is caused by the dump engineer who tought putting a 17 gallon tank under one side of a frame would have no effect on the other side

ezrider440 said:
there is no way to align a rear axle unless you moved it when mounting new leaf springs, so need to measure it with a tape

Not really, the leaf spring center pin will keep the axle centered.

Bottom line is, NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE REAR AXLE. It takes care of itself as long as you take care of it.

Back