Steering wheel shutter after alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel shutter after alignment

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey all,
Today I got an alignment because the outside edge of my front tires were starting to wear down a lot more than the rest of the tire. The guy said it took a while to align because there is a hex nut in there that wasn't allowing much play. Now the alignment is good, but there is now a shutter whenever I turn the wheels at a stop or low speed. It doesn't do it when Im going at speed. The guy mentioned to me after the test drive there is a shutter, but he said it could be my gear box going out? But it didn't do it before the alignment? I was thinking maybe the alignment was out for a long time and my gear box got used to it and now that my alignment is good, my gear box is freaking out? Let me know what I should do! Thanks

You have air in the power steering system. When they did an alignment they turn the wheels with the engine off and puts air in it. There is a special tool but you can try this. Start it up and turn the wheel all the way to the left and hold it there and then shut the car off and let it sit for like 15 minutes. You will probably see the air bubbles in the ps reservoir while it is sitting there.

method above + open the power steering cap under the hood.

Back