All 4 O2 Sensors Dead?

black96vert

Reaction score
City, State
Tewksbury, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm having a problem with a 98 Sport with the OHC 6. The check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago. I checked the codes and they were lean bank 1 & lean bank 2. I then checked the O2 sensors and all four read 0V all of the time! Has anyone else had this problem? I find it hard to believe all four sensors would be completely dead. I also have the dreaded ping under light load at 2500 - 3000 rpm. The engine has about 103,000 miles. Any info would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is common that when one O2 sensor begins to fail, that the others are soon to follow. How, many miles on your truck? Two of mine went bad at 98,000 miles. I went ahead and replaced all four.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Lots of usefull information. Do some searching.

You have some form of electrical problem is my guess. All 4 sensors will not fail at the same time, and they are not inter-related. When giving coedes it helps to give us the numbers... I am making the assumption you have PO171 and PO174. Do a search on the codes and you will find out all bout some recalls, but at the same time I cannot imagine all 4 sensors going at the same time.....has to be some electrical problem.

I agree. If you have had all 4 sensors fail all at once, I wouldn't leave the house, 'cause there's a good chance you're gonna be struck by lightening!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to check fuses and wiring first. Then I'll replace one sensor to see if I can read a voltage on it. If that works I'll replace the other three. I'll be doing this indoors to avoid any lightning bolts.

Check the wiring to the drivers side upstream sensor for a heatshield that has fallen off the pipe and possibly worn through the wiring shorting it out, causing the heater fuse to blow.

The fuse is fine. I haven't crawled under it yet due to the snow we got last night. I need to move somewhere warm.

All the O2's on mine were coding lean. My fuel filter was mostly clogged. Never been a problem since.

Back