Almost rolled the Mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost rolled the Mounty

I am a little disappointed with myself. I have been driving in this stuff for at least 15 years, and I finally lost it good.

Going around this bend at 70, the rear end slid out on me, and I hit the ditch sideways. It then shot me back onto the road and I hit the other ditch at about 55. I went off on an approach, which dropped off rather steeply into a 5 foot ditch. If I had hit the ditch 25 feet earlier, I would have totally Dukes of Hazzarded it off the approach, and exploded in a giant fireball and died.

I thought I had to have broken something, but everything is fine, I was able to finish the 250 mile trip with no problems, still drives straight. I am thinking about putting the front sway bar back on after this... :D I took it off since one of my end links was broken, and then I gave the other one away to a friend that had a broken one. Does anybody have a spare set laying around?

Drawing for your entertainment. :D

1207090121.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very lucky my friend, install your front sway bar end links asap.. summer is one thing.. but winter I wouldn't push it... and I play around a Lot..

ur really lucky

yes sir! :D

I had my sway bar link broken for one day and thought it was going to go over it was way to tipsy for my liking.

Think a dealership would have them on hand? where would be a good place to pick them up? I dont want used ones form a junk yard, as they will just be that much closer to breaking again.

Thanks for the tip on the moog pieces. I have gotten a pretty good response to the drawing on the other sites i frequent (nwuonline.com, fordtruckfanatics.com) :D

You can drive without them, just take it into consideration. I've grown used to how my truck acts without em.. off-road it seems a lot smoother.. but on the street.. I love my poly bushings with the energy suspension end links.

I havent had the end links on for 4 months or so and never had a problem. I dont even think not having them played a big part in it. I mean, I was sliding sideways on dry pavement and it stayed on its wheels, right? :D

Maybe I wont put new ones on, who knows.

I've almost rolled my explorer. It was last year. After my X being down for about a month due to a bad fuel pump, I finally got her fixed. Took her for a spin down a side road. I came around a corner and decided to gun it and have some fun sliding around. All is going good, then I got WAY carried away sliding around (and being I forgot how she handled after not driving it for a month) and lost control going 35-40 MPH. So I'm sliding sideways down this road at 40 MPH and headed right for a ditch. The passenger side goes into the ditch and WOW I thought FOR SURE it was going to roll being at the angle I was at and the speed and the ditch. But thankfully it didnt. Ever since that scare, I've had some serious respect for the X now, I still goof around but I dont let it get out of control.

It was pretty hairy sliding with out control 40 MPH sideways for over 5 seconds, seemed like it was forever, even more thinking for sure it was going to roll.

As soon as I get out after sliding off the road, I look down the road and here comes a state trooper with his lights on!! He comes up to me and tells me he saw the whole thing, me messing around and being reckless. To top it off, I didnt have my wallet on me, I left it at home (which was down the street). But he was a cool guy. After talking for a couple minutes he said "well get this thing unstuck and be safe".

LOL. bad enough scare almost rolling the X, then another scare when I saw the trooper cause I thought he was going to ticket me for reckless driving or something.

Back