• Register Today It's free!

almost runs battery down

staffbuoy

Reaction score
City, State
nwefoundland
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Hey people trying to find a fix.Hard job getting truck started 4.0 explorer keeps cranking over almost starts but she dont.Turn key on then off on off try her agian sounds better this time. Keeps at this for god nows how long then after a while she starts. when she starts she is fine New plugs wires another fuel pump clean out tank very dirty.Because the filler neck was rusted out sand and salt here never help iam thinking that I got the injectors *** up cause of that.any help would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems like the fuel pressure is not holding. See if you can get a hold of a fuel pressure tester (cost me $30 from Sears) and test the pressure! It sounds to me like your fuel pressure regulator is shot. When it's idling it should be around 35 psi, +/- 5 psi.

when the engine is off and you turn the key to on and hear the pump run, your pressure SHOULD go up pretty close to that mark.

The pressure test fitting, when you look at the engine straight on, will be on the left of the intake just forward of the ignition coil. The fuel pressure regulator is just in front of that, and has a vaccuum line running to it and bolts to the fuel rail with two small bolts.

Tell me if this helps... with the age of your explorer I bet the regulator may be toast.

Do you notice any other problems? Performance, MPG, etc??

A long shot could be your injectors not holding the pressure. But those take forever to go out.

How many miles???

Anway check the fuel pressure and then the regulator. Take care!!!

George

Welcome fellow canuck!!

Eh dere bey! Hows the weather out there on the rock? We got some nasty sh.. over here today and yesterday. You don't have any cod or lobster stuck in your gas tank with that salt and sand do you? If you do you should stop driving her in the atlantic bey! LOL. For real, it does sound like the fuel pressure regulator like Monkeydude said. Good luck and welcome fellow canuck!
:chug: :smoke:

fuel

Well like i said turn key on then off for a while she will start. The regulator is it a big job or can it be taken apart and clean out can dirt get in there. thanks for the quick response

Its only got a 160 thousands km on her Iam the second owner.Got everything thats done with her in the glove box.

I'd do a pressure test like George said, FPR is a little costly but not hard to do I think I payed aroung $150. You need a special tool to take your gas fitting off though. But they are cheap, much cheaper than having someone else do it anyway. Make sure you check for good vacuum. There's no fixxin or cleaning them. You can however clean your MAF sensor and put a new air filter in. That may help a bit. Check all your connections, bat. terminals and grounds.

al

So you people dont think its the fuel pump cause I dont want to drop the tank anymore. Not much gas comming out when you press on the valve dont spray out at ya

Filter clogged? Can you hear the pump come on with the key? You'll probobly need that fitting tool for the filter too. The gas should squirt out good at first when you turn the key on and if the regulator is shot the pressure won't hold.

The fuel pressure regulator is extremely easy and it cost me like $25 from autozone... and works grand. A pressure tester is like $30. Replacing the filter will be a cheap way to check something else off the list. Seems like the regulator. Just check the pressure and the regulator.

George

This is the third filter changed out with that foolish tool lol.Something keep telling me that its dirt in the lines.I cleaned out the tank I even suck it out with a wet vac.Turn key hear pump wait for it cut out then try no go probley ten min doing that before she start. When I get a chance iam going to try the regulator. thanks ppl

Ok cool, the pump is running. I bet it's your regulator. I bought mine from autozone for $28. It's held on by two screws and takes all of 5 minutes to change out. :)

George

well i know for one scraped going to see if i can get it.Pretty well got everything else off it lol

Back