Alternative to Transmission Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternative to Transmission Rebuild

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hello All!

Last year January, I had my 2002 EX 4x4 transmission rebuilt. Almost exactly a year later the tranny #*% the bed again!. The warranty was only for 6 months.

The systems I'm getting is:

Over a period of time ( A week or so) the car wouldn't go into gear (reverse or drive) until the engine was warmed up. This went from an intermittent thing to the car has to literally warm up for about 15 minutes before moving.

One morning while heading to work I got a 'Transmission Overheat' message in the info center display. I pulled over a rest stop and waited 10 or 15 minutes. After proceeding again, the display read 'Check Transmission' and the 'Over Drive' light flashes on and off.

When I come to a stop and then attempt to proceed, it take a few seconds of stepping on the gas before the car slams into gear and takes off. Once its going, it seems to shift gears properly, but soon the overheat, and other lights start flashing.

Since then, the car's been parked.

My situation is this: I just put a rebuilt engine in there July 2013, then had the transmission rebuilt January, 2014.

Its an 02, so I've been through the entire car, coil springs, radiator, wheel bearings, etc.

I do not / will not pay to rebuild the transmission again. Is there anything I can instruct the mechanic to look for besides a complete rebuild?

I mean could it be low on fluid, could be a servo or sensor out of whack. If I had to pay another 2K I'd rather buy use it as a down payment on something else.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

As a quick note, if you like the way the car looks and hate car paymens, fix it.

I'd say take it back to the trans shop and have them look at it. Don't be mad, but explain that it should last more than a year.

See what they find, maybe have another shop take a look too. Not sure what the heat dies, but sounds like your torque converter is slipping until the fluid heats up.

Yes, I absolutely like the way it looks. I've kept it up pretty well. A rebuild should last more than a year right?

My rationale right now is that yes I save a monthly car note, but when the engine goes, all that savings goes. then when the transmission goes the next year, its all wiped out again. now a second transmission, the same thing.

We've been bombarded with snow for the last month and the shops didn't even have room to take it in, therefore I'm just getting to it now.

Thanks. Its a hard decision.

The problem is, you either buy a new "Explorer" to have a warranty and a hefty payment, or you buy a newer used vehicle, that months year down the road may just have the same issues.

I've seen plenty of Explorers with 200-300k miles on them. I'd say you need an answer on the tranny, sounds like they skipped some steps. Did they follow the TSB's for it etc?

Back