• Register Today It's free!

alternator problems

dpeebs

Reaction score
City, State
manitoba canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
hi there iv been having a problem with my alternator in my 1991 ford explorer. i had the stock alterntor and i had my voltage going crazy on me. so i changed the alternator with my 230amp ho alternator it was fine for 5 days then it started acting up again so i took it to the place i bought it from and they said a bad ground so i added 3 extra grounds with 6 gauage wire under the hood along with the big 3 for the system and i still have the same problem i had the computer diagnosed and nobody can tell me whats wrong and the shop i bought my alt from refuses to look at my truck. also the lights strobe ut on e while this happens, headlights and interior, all lights and the voltage goes normal around 1500 rpm. i also just replaced the regulator on y brnd new alt but still the same things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZMvTCNFdc&feature=plcp
the first video is of cold start before i replaced the regultor
the second is of a warm truck with new regulator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6EyYfW50Os&feature=context-cha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey man, welcome to the site. Still sounds like a bad ground to me. Isn't there a ground point to put the alternator into full charge mode too?

I was thinking the same thing as Wood1...a bad ground.

im not sure on the alt full charge ground. but i have my 0 gauge wire grounded right to my alt from my battery. its been to cold to get under my truck or rip it apart to check all the grounds, but the lights flickering none stop would it be a lighting ground? iv read that i could also be a bad head light switch

Headlights flickering can indeed be a faulty headlight switch, the originals go bad and should be replaced with a newer version, both to fix the flickering and eliminate the fire hazard risk.

Could still be a bad ground though, or even corroded battery cables. Check the ground at the engine block on the passenger side, you can see it through the passenger side wheelwell behind the shock. Check that it's tight and inspect all the positive/negative wire going from the battery to the block and starter to be sure there isn't a short somewhere. Also check the ground connections on the inner passeger side fender where the solenoid is.

i have replaced the terminals all the grounds under the hood are good and i added grounds and i have the big 3 done for the audio, i made sure to sand down to metal and i even sodered all the wires with copper connectors and used flux so i know there are good grounds. i havent check the grounds inside the truck yet. my amps are the only grounds i checked and there good aswell

Back