• Register Today It's free!

Alternator Recommendations

Fat B

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Yesterday my alternator died on my 1999 Explorer w/4.0 OHV. I was wondering how everyone went about replacing their alternator. I looked on the retail store sites and they have about the same price ($140) for brands that I never heard of. Then I looked on places like ebay and they have alternators that seem to have no name alt. for a little less than $100 shipped to my door. I coud visit the local junkyard but I'm hesitant to buy an alternator from a junkyard. Why? I'm not too sure.

So any recommendations from brand names or let me know where you get your alternators would be appriciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much any will do, just don't go for the cheapest... that's about it..

there is another option. Many times there are local electrical places that will rebuild your own alternator for much less. I had one rebuild a few years ago, Sometimes they can even rewind it to produce more amps. However I believe most of the explorers already have a high output alternator. Anyway check around you may save a few bucks.

Is 230 considered HO? That's the highest they came with. Biggest thing you can do to improve even a stock system is Beef up those grounds! I have minimal voltage drops and no electrical issues.. nothing like I had to deal with before doing the ground work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going to the junkyard and buying a used alternator for $45. I'm taking my first chance on a junkyard alternator so I hope it turns out well!

Just don't throw away the old one it can be rebuilt..

Back