• Register Today It's free!

Alternator sufficient?

J3wbagell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Mazda Navajo
While putting new speakers(normal door speakers) it came to my mind that maybe the alternator is not sufficient enough for a sound system. If it is sufficient what are my limits as to the amp I can buy without upgrading the alternator.

It is a stock alternator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In all reality, you will need toupgrade the alternator.

Good luck ....

It depends on what you install. You can upgrade and not have worries, but if you aren't experiencing any loss of voltage or dimming headlights just keep with it. I had a 500watt amp and was having power issues. I also think my alternator is stock after 15 years.

You can always try and find a decent used 130 amp alternator that were in the limiteds.

I run a pretty loud system(212watts to each door. And a 900w sub. Both rms) and it only dims the lights when it's all the way up.

Granted I don't use either amp to their full potential.

Thanks guys I might get a limited alternator just to be safe.

you can see my mods in my sig.

i recently installed a 200A aftermarket alternator.

theres no performance or anythign liek that gained however i dont believe that i will be worried at all about the performance of my mods liek amp/sub, gauges, hedlights etc.

i reccomend gettin an alt. if you can afford it. your alt. will eventually go up anyway.
an alt. is a very good investment

and a big P.S!> do NOT underdrive or overdrive your serpentine system to help w/ your amp. just get the alt.

Back