Am I being too picky? 3rd row question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I being too picky? 3rd row question

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
Aside from my SatNav issue, the only other thing that I've found that bothers me is how the 3rd row folds. Am I being too picky for wanting both seats to be completely level? When they are folding, one does move faster than the other, and I'm not sure if that is part of the issue. I know it's not the end of the world, but a flat surface would be more desirable. Picture below.

IMAG0481.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have an issue. My 3rd row fold/stow at the same speed and stow at the same level. I have seen them not stow level if there is something in the cargo area underneath where they fold, i.e. rubber floor mat being stored there.

No problems with mine either. They are not something I use and are always in the folded position and covered by my Husky cargo mat. I also believe that this issue was brought up some time ago by another member who had a similar situation.

Yep, have to agree with the other guys. Mine fold at the same speed and have a flat surface when in the down position.

Alright, then I'll make a note of it and mention it to the dealer. Now the question is do I wait 3 months till the first service, or take it in now? I can live with it for a few months, I guess as long as nothing breaks.

In the 6-7 Explorers I have poked and prodded on the dealer lots that had the power folding rear seats, I would say close to half were not level when folded and seemed to fold at slightly different speeds.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, you are being too picky! :D Nah, not really, it would bother me too!

Take it in now and let them know it came that way.

At lunch I went and checked mine out after watching your video. Both seats move at the same speed and appear to be very close (if not exact) as they move through positions.

Of the 8-10 I drove before buying mine in March, I didn't see this issue one time, so maybe it is a later production issue.

I agree, if it bugs you enough, I would take it in. You would hope it is a mis-alignment and fixed by a minor adjustment. More than the Explorer uses this folding seat design (MKT for one), so adjusting this seat should be a totally new thing.

At lunch I went and checked mine out after watching your video. Both seats move at the same speed and appear to be very close (if not exact) as they move through positions.

Of the 8-10 I drove before buying mine in March, I didn't see this issue one time, so maybe it is a later production issue.

I agree, if it bugs you enough, I would take it in. You would hope it is a mis-alignment and fixed by a minor adjustment. More than the Explorer uses this folding seat design (MKT for one), so adjusting this seat should be a totally new thing.

It actually wasn't like it new, as I've used them it started to develop like that. Was completely flat folded at first.

You definitely have an issue. It looks like it's the one on the left...

Gonna call them tomorrow.

Is there a way to adjust the power 3rd row seating? My new/used 2016 limited has an issue with the 3rd row in the stored position. When stored one sits lower than the other causing the storage space to be uneven.

I am unsure if one is too high, or one is too low.

If need be I can pull the weather tech liner out and snap some pics. Not a huge issue but really bugging me.

^^ Your thread was merged with this one. As you can see, you are not alone. You may also want to check out this thread; 2011/12/13 Limited 3rd Row Power Fold Seats
I am not aware of any possible adjustment but then I've not had the issue.

Peter

Is there a way to adjust the power 3rd row seating? My new/used 2016 limited has an issue with the 3rd row in the stored position. When stored one sits lower than the other causing the storage space to be uneven.

I am unsure if one is too high, or one is too low.

If need be I can pull the weather tech liner out and snap some pics. Not a huge issue but really bugging me.
Folded or stowed. Stowed is the flat floor position which I think is what you mean. If that is the case, flip the second row forward so you can look under the floor boards that get extended to make the flat floor. Check to make sure both are seated properly in the plastic arms. Likely that one or both of them came undone at some point causing it not to sit even. It is pretty easy to fix. I disconnect them on occasion to fit things under them when packing the back full for trips, just have to remember to not push any of the power fold buttons so as not to crush the items or break the seats.

Folded or stowed. Stowed is the flat floor position which I think is what you mean. If that is the case, flip the second row forward so you can look under the floor boards that get extended to make the flat floor. Check to make sure both are seated properly in the plastic arms. Likely that one or both of them came undone at some point causing it not to sit even. It is pretty easy to fix. I disconnect them on occasion to fit things under them when packing the back full for trips, just have to remember to not push any of the power fold buttons so as not to crush the items or break the seats.

The one that is lower when stowed.... one of the plastic arms is broken, and the folding support was bent alittle. I bent the support back into the correct location.

Wondering if buying a new seat back, and support will fix it for me. The back itself is $200+ so would be pissed if it does not work.

The one that is lower when stowed.... one of the plastic arms is broken, and the folding support was bent alittle. I bent the support back into the correct location.

Wondering if buying a new seat back, and support will fix it for me. The back itself is $200+ so would be pissed if it does not work.
Start with just the arm, which is about $31 from the online sellers. (2005-2019 Ford Front Bracket 9F9Z-7460592-B | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake). I wouldn't replace the undercover unless it is broken beyond repair.

Also pictures can help if you want a better opinion.

I would start with replacing that broken piece as suggested. I doubt that replacing the seat back would make any difference at all.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back