Am I crazy? Considering 1st gen Explorer 4x4 build.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I crazy? Considering 1st gen Explorer 4x4 build....

Not crazy at all-Go for it!
Build it to your liking/purpose and enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get thee to an institution! Building a 4x4 that's a Ford? You must be nuts or something! ;)

It's fine to drive a built up daily driver. Just make sure you're familiar with the mannerisms and limitations (ie don't floor it on exit ramps when you're locked) and you'll be fine.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage were you getting with that?

I was getting around 14-16 depending on how I was driving at the given week. Proper Gearing helps a ton.

and post plenty of build pictures!

Haha, thanks guys! I'll definitely post up pics whenever I get around to building one!

I was getting around 14-16 depending on how I was driving at the given week. Proper Gearing helps a ton.

:eek: Holy cow man, that's good mileage for that much lift and it being 4x4! My 1999 F-150 Supercab averages around that and it's a 2wd with a 2" leveling kit and 285/75 All Terrains.

I think I've finally decided on what my build will be. I'm looking to build a black with tan leather first gen X with all the outside trim painted black to match, including swapping out the X front bumper for a Bronco II bumper (the one without the pads, nice and smooth). The only things I don't want painted factory black are the Ford symbols on the front and back, and the Explorer XLT emblem on the rear. I plan on getting all new lights for up front, all clear, and getting new lights for the rear (keeping them red). I'll shave off the roof rack and put on a 4" lift with some 32x11.5x15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2's. Not sure on the wheels yet, but I'll probably get them with a little bit of an offset that makes them widen the X's stance and put some painted-to-match fender flares on it to keep the look clean. Then put on some 35% tint in the front with 20% on the sides and rear. All-in-all I think it should be a pretty nice looking first gen X with clean lines and one that is well accentuated but not overly done. Perfect for a daily driver that can jump off the pavement if need be. What do ya'll think?

Sounds like a good plan, and will look good too. I wouldn't shave the roof rack though, that's more of a street truck look. Maybe a black roof basket with some lights. The black would look awesome, but it will show scratches from 4 wheeling, so you may want to consider that before dropping $$$ on a nice paint job and getting it mess up by branches and bushes. And a suggestion, maybe get the BFG ATs if you will spend more time on road than off road. Other than that sounds like a fun build. Get to finding one!

Sounds like a good plan, and will look good too. I wouldn't shave the roof rack though, that's more of a street truck look. Maybe a black roof basket with some lights. The black would look awesome, but it will show scratches from 4 wheeling, so you may want to consider that before dropping $$$ on a nice paint job and getting it mess up by branches and bushes. And a suggestion, maybe get the BFG ATs if you will spend more time on road than off road. Other than that sounds like a fun build. Get to finding one!

The main reason I'd like to shave the rack is for a more clean and streamline look. I'm replacing my F-150 with an F-250 Crew Cab diesel 4x4 for my down and dirty truck. My X will be a comfortable daily that I can use on some outings. My parents have some land and I usually load up some guns with my dad and go out there to shoot, so having a 4x4 would be helpful. My 2WD F-150 usually does ok, but I just don't trust it all the time. The black paint wouldn't bother me as much either since I have a friend who will be doing my paint and body work. As for the BFG KM2's, my cousin has some on his 2011 Chevy Z71 and the MPG only went down like .5 over his all terrains. Ever since he got them I've been in love with those tires! I've got the BFG All Terrains on my truck and they are nice, but man...those KM2's are just awesome!

I bought my 92 a year ago and of course I had to put some money into it because its 20 years old. This is my 5th vehicle and it is my favorite. I can get in it and never think twice about it leaving me on the side of the road. I put 20k miles on mine this past year and it has never left me stranded. Very good vehicle.

I bought my 92 a year ago and of course I had to put some money into it because its 20 years old. This is my 5th vehicle and it is my favorite. I can get in it and never think twice about it leaving me on the side of the road. I put 20k miles on mine this past year and it has never left me stranded. Very good vehicle.

Welcome To Explorer Forum.

Yea, my first X was a 92 as well. I loved that thing! Hopefully I'll be able to locate another one that is in decent enough shape to start with.

Back