Am I getting conned by this installation quote? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I getting conned by this installation quote?

back to the install, Kelly, you said you think it should be around $25 for the bypass installed? I just cant get over how they want so much for it all when I bought the actual starter myself. You are correct, it is an avital 4200xl, and I do want the remote start with keyless entry installed, I wouldnt want it installed but only use half the capabilities. I just dont know if this guy was overquoting me or what. I will probably call another BB and see what they say. HHgregg says about half the price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps part of the cost is in the "warranty repair" in case it gets fubared. I had my alarm/remote start 2 way pager installed for $600 out the door (years ago) and have been back a couple times to get it tweaked. Eventually the CC that did the install decided not to cover DEI any more so a local install shop took it over. One day one of my 2 way pagers decided to take a **** so I took it in (these things are supposed to cost $100) but the gave me a new one COVERED under warranty. CC didn't do the same for my friend with the same alarm!

Forgot to mention I actually purchased the unit there as well (part of the $600 cost).

I had to dig my receipts to jump into this one.

I checked what it cost me to have mine installed by Future Shop (Canada) for my Viper Remote Start and alarm (560XV). The invoice was CAN$458 or about US$350 installed ! (all taxes included)

The invoice included part numbers for auto immobilizer, starter kill, parking light flash, door lock/unlock module and oem alarm control bypass

Everything works and integrates with the existing passive explo security system

He did borrow my keys for reporgramming but returned both and they both work fine. My guess is I got the better bypass module (?)

I have to agree with Kelly2. There are good shops with really horrible installers and there are bad shops with excellent installers. My installer was great ! At first he seemed lazy and sounded like he didnt know what he was doing and the work order was for me to leave the truck for the whole day. But when everything was done, he even threw in and programmed an extra remote from a 130XV for free ! Now I have 5 fully functional fobs (2 ford oems, 2 viper 560xv and 1 viper 130xv)

.......now if I only find which shop that installer moved to since I want to upgrade the 130XV remote start installed in my old probeGT

back to the install, Kelly, you said you think it should be around $25 for the bypass installed? I just cant get over how they want so much for it all when I bought the actual starter myself. You are correct, it is an avital 4200xl, and I do want the remote start with keyless entry installed, I wouldnt want it installed but only use half the capabilities. I just dont know if this guy was overquoting me or what. I will probably call another BB and see what they say. HHgregg says about half the price.

sorry, was out playing in the woods all weekend. i'll get the bestbuy sku's and our prices for you tomorrow. keep in mind there may be a bit of a price difference based on location.

There are very few people in the world that I let work on my vehicles, one of them was a former CC installer. If I don't know there work and personally trust them they don't touch my vehicle. warranty or not. I have been in the business long enough that most shops I deal with know that I have been an installer and have no problems with any warranty issues. Now some of the sales people at BB,CC can be complete morons.

As for the price some shops charge extra for product purchased else ware. Also some charge one price for a the basic install any extras are an extra charge, including pats modules.

Tim

ok. so the bestbuy sku's and the prices at our store are as follows:

remote start w/ keyless - 6155849 $149.99
materials fee - 4081923 $5.00
remote start bypass install - 4344604 $24.99

then for the bypass, you have two options
1) DEI 556U - 6673682 $51.99
2) DEI 1100F - 8014873 $79.99

Hey, isnt the basic install labor included with alarms at Best Buy? I thought you just had to pay extra for the bypass installs and any extra parts for your car....

Now, if you BYO alarm... you pay all the labor....

Hey, isnt the basic install labor included with alarms at Best Buy? I thought you just had to pay extra for the bypass installs and any extra parts for your car....

Now, if you BYO alarm... you pay all the labor....

exactly. still think they were over-pricing him for bringing in his a different remote start/keyless

Im not really sure what involved in the install... but considering the time, it doesnt seem that bad. But it sounds like you might of had a better deal just getting the alarm from best buy. I know I have paid more at mom n pop shops.

Back