• Register Today It's free!

am i going to die or what?

paul_c_nicols

Reaction score
City, State
Nashua, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
i think my power steering is dying. it is really heavy & i swear when i was driving it the other day i lost steering ability for a second or two. the fluid level is good & belt is o.k.?

what happens when it fails. am i driving off the road & hitting a tree or does it just become manual steering.

please help!

my confession...this isn't my x, but my f250 that this is happening to. you guys are so good at advice. the pickup truck forum just wants to talk about installing gun racks!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year is the truck, and thus how old is the fluid? The fluid might just need to be changed. Also, check the ps fluid cooler and hoses.

If it fails, the steering will be very very difficult. RockRanger's pump failed in Moab and now he has Popeye arms!

haha .... during my drivers test to get my liecence the power steering died. I was a skinny little 16 yr old trying to turn that wheel i nearly **** my pants. While your moving its tough but when you slow down and have to parelell park or something its nearly impossible.

its a 1989 heavy duty. that means that even popeye arms probably won't save me. its a big mother!

funny thing is the steering is like my old x, really really loose when driving straight. i was told @ one point that i could get it tightned up, but was too cheap.

it has like 3 inches of play in the middle & hard to turn on either side.

the thing even keeps going in the direction you were last steering unless you turn back!

sounds like its managable if you're moving!. thats all i needed to no.

mechanic said he'd check it out for me. i guess i'll be o.k. in the meantime.

thanks for the info! (there is no substitute!)

Back