AM Radio - any connection to roof fix??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AM Radio - any connection to roof fix???

I doubt that it is the antenna itself but perhaps a connection on the antenna wiring from the radio. The connectors are usually just push pull to the them apart or together and don't take much to get them apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt that it is the antenna itself but perhaps a connection on the antenna wiring from the radio. The connectors are usually just push pull to the them apart or together and don't take much to get them apart.
Just trying to eliminate the easy part from the possible causes. The problem could very well be at or with the radio but the member hasn't checked that since the issue began almost 7 years ago!

Peter

I took my 2013 Ford Explorer in to the dealer on Friday and they said the short/stubby antenna is inherent to poor AM radio strength and there was nothing they could do about it. I told them that was unacceptable. In my 2006 Explorer I never had had AM reception problems and asked them to compare the reception against a new Explorer. 20 minutes later, they came back and said the amplifier in the antenna base was bad. Of course there was not a replacement in stock and had to order the part. So, hopefully it will be repaired this week.

I took my 2013 Ford Explorer in to the dealer on Friday and they said the short/stubby antenna is inherent to poor AM radio strength and there was nothing they could do about it. I told them that was unacceptable. In my 2006 Explorer I never had had AM reception problems and asked them to compare the reception against a new Explorer. 20 minutes later, they came back and said the amplifier in the antenna base was bad. Of course there was not a replacement in stock and had to order the part. So, hopefully it will be repaired this week.
I hope that fixes the problem. I wasn't aware that there was am amplifier in the base. I know that the Sirius antenna is in there. To replace the base, I believe I've read that they have to pull down the headliner.

Peter

Did the new amplifier improve your reception?

No one in this thread has talked about "resistor spark plugs". I seem to recall they were required to remedy radio reception in older autos?

Back