Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013

Over 26,000 kms my truck is averaging 11.5 litres per 100 kms, I have to convert that to MPG which is 20.5 mpg in US measurements. This is 7 months of driving.

That is with 50-50 driving city and highway combined. Three months cool fall and spring weather, and four months in cold winter conditions with winter gas mix for about 5 months (which is bad for fuel economy), lots of defroster use which uses the a/c function and lowers fuel economy. In the 5 months of cold weather driving I idle the truck quite a bit at start up and while my son is waiting for his bus to arrive, at least 10 minutes of idle every morning five days per week ( I know , I know, the tree huggers will scream at this one but hey that is my lifestyle and I ain't changing). I use my truck for work purposes, with lots of short distance trips and quite a few start and stops throughout the day, with a couple trips a day through the Tim Hortons drive through - another bad habit.

Looking forward to getting back to summer fuel mix and warm temps, less idling and my truck should get some much improved fuel economy. So far I am very happy with my truck and it's fuel economy given my brutal (for fuel economy) driving conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Highway I get about 22-23MPG averaging 85.

City I average about 19-21.

'11 Exp LTD.15k miles. Just came back from trip to Florida 560 mi each way. Going south 22 mpg , going north 21.8 mpg. Hiway speed set at about 79mph.
I'm not unhappy, but I guess at 55mph you can get EPA mileage. Here in the south you get run over at 55.

After 600+ miles on my new 2013 Ltd 4x4 3.5L V6, averaging 17.5mpg combo hiway/city.

I first two tanks, we got 17.6 (delivery tank of gas) and 21.4 (reflects more accurately what kind of driving we will be doing).

I had a fresh tank this morning and with my commute, the computer says 23.0, with a highway max of 24.9. I think it would have gone higher, but the traffic around the GRB took its toll. Those numbers are with about 80% highway (70mph) and 20% city (side streets and neighborhoods).

I am posting my mileage on Fuelly.com, and am keeping track of the trip computer's accuracy by adding notes to each fill-up so the actual and comp numbers can be compared. It was 1 mpg conservative on the first tank and 0.5 mpg optimistic on the second.

If we can get more 2013's on Fuelly, our vehicles will start showing up in the public pages.

Here's the LINK to the Gray Ghost.

Happy driving :)

I'm jealous... Just over 1k on my 2013 and I am averaging 16.8 according to the dash display. That's probably 60/40 streets to highway. I do have a bit of a lead foot but have been trying very hard to be conservative both in hopes of driving the mpg up and just trying to take it easy on the new engine.

I'm jealous... Just over 1k on my 2013 and I am averaging 16.8 according to the dash display. That's probably 60/40 streets to highway. I do have a bit of a lead foot but have been trying very hard to be conservative both in hopes of driving the mpg up and just trying to take it easy on the new engine.

I'm almost there with ya, average of 17.6 on the display. I drive 22 miles one way to work with about 20 of those miles being freeway. However, here in SoCal driving from Anaheim to near LAX, driving on the freeway is often more stop and go then on the city streets. Lead foot does not help.

Well I filled up today for the first time in my X. I like to fillup at a half tank, just a habit from driving a truck that had a forty gallon tank.

My X got after hand figuring the miles/gallons averaged 20.95 mpg in 50/50 driving. I have only 230 miles on the car right now.

With todays gas prices that works out to 30 bucks in the X vs 65 to72 bucks in my old truck at half tank. My old truck on a good day would get 12.9 mpg.

Needless to say. I like my Explorer.

^ Ouch!

Just hand calculated my mileage and it came in at 21.3 with city and highway mixed (mostly city). I now have 1400 miles on it. I also traded in an F150 with a 5.4 V8. GREAT TRUCK!! Gas mileage not so great, around 14.5 city mixed and maybe on a good day 16.5 on the highway. I still can't believe that a 4600 lb SUV is doing this well on the gas. Just to let you know I do not have a lead foot but I don't drive slow either.

I also traded in a truck. I had a 2005 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat with the 5.4 which would get 14-15 city. I have a 2012 Explorer EcoBoost and avg 22-23 with mainly city driving. I don't miss filling the truck's 30 gallon gas tank!

Right around 60mph cruising is when the RPM jumps from 1500 to 2000. Driving under 60 and keeping the RPM under 2000 when accelerating yields very good gas mileage. I get 22 consistently with 50/50 city/highway . I drive about 80 miles/day. I have a long trip in May, so we'll see how that goes.

ITA with keeping the RPM below 2000. I've had my car for 3 weeks now and am averaging right around 20mpg (don't have exact estimate). I drive .41 miles to work and again on the way home. i do that set 2 times per day (work at the school at the end of the street). I don't idle. I also drive another 8miles round trip a couple times a week. So I'm not putting a *ton* of miles on the thing - though weekends we certainly do more. Mileage right now reads right around 500 miles.

ITA with keeping the RPM below 2000. I've had my car for 3 weeks now and am averaging right around 20mpg (don't have exact estimate). I drive .41 miles to work and again on the way home. i do that set 2 times per day (work at the school at the end of the street). I don't idle. I also drive another 8miles round trip a couple times a week. So I'm not putting a *ton* of miles on the thing - though weekends we certainly do more. Mileage right now reads right around 500 miles.

Nice commute! My wife used to have one that was almost that short. Now, she drives 32 miles one way :(

Only 500 miles? lol. The Gray Ghost has over 700 already, and will probably have over 800 by tonight. Arg... this car is going to age quickly, more so than we are used to.

Were averaging 18.5 combined.

I am at 18.5 right now, mostly city driving to and from work. A lot of 30-35 mph roads and a few stop signs.

Best I have had so far was driving to Michigan from Kansas, 24 mpg average for the entire trip.

Usually seems to be 22-23. Got 22 driving from Indiana to Michigan with 5 people and a lot of luggage, which I was happy with.

Forgot to mention, 11k miles on it now.

I got 25.9 MPG in my mom's 2011 going from Columbus, GA to Aiken, SC (~260 miles, just under 4 hours) at 70-75mph most of the way.

I get about 22 MPG doing it in my '06 V8 Exploder.

Understanding how to drive efficiently is very important if you want to get EPA figures since they test with non-ethanol gas (or so I've heard) and most gas stations have ethanol in their gas.

Gray Ghost is now listed on Fuelly.com. Last tank was 20.1. The trip computer had us at 20.4, not too far off.

It's been kinda hard to estimate highway vs. city %'s simply because we end up in so much traffic. Some days it is smooth sailing to and from work, others it is a slog.

We took the tank down to about 1 gallon left. We are trying to get a feel for how accurate our gas gauge is. Seems pretty close. Going the to same gas station and the same pump (ol' #8) since we got the Ghost, we fill at the slowest lockable speed. The car said we used 17.38 gallons, we ended up pumping 17.70, so not too bad there.

Pretty happy with the mileage so far. It is about the same as the Forester turbo it replaced, but being able to put about 3 extra gallons in the tank makes the range tolerable.

I got 25.9 MPG in my mom's 2011 going from Columbus, GA to Aiken, SC (~260 miles, just under 4 hours) at 70-75mph most of the way.

I get about 22 MPG doing it in my '06 V8 Exploder.

Understanding how to drive efficiently is very important if you want to get EPA figures since they test with non-ethanol gas (or so I've heard) and most gas stations have ethanol in their gas.

Unfortunately all gas now a day has ethanol for fleet(us) to use.

Reason was stated at the time that the additives put in gas was contaminating ground water, caused cancer and caused male pattern bauldness.

Now if you had a car that got good mileage before ethanol now gets less with ethanol.

Still my Ex is getting 20 combined mpgs which is better then the 12 I got in my old ram at less than half the cost at fill up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can still get gas without ethanol, but it costs more and it's much harder to find.

Back