• Register Today It's free!

Amp and Tweeter Placement

Scottomatic

Reaction score
City, State
Branson MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hey guys im new here. Love the forums, tons of great info in here. Elite membership is pending payday. I've been browsing for a few days now. Anyway, I just got a 2002 Explorer XLT in awesome condition. I want to start tweaking the sound system. I put in a Pioneer BT series audio/video head. Today i ordered 4 Polk Audio DB571's for the doors. I already have a Kenwood amp to drive them with (from my previous car). So here are my questions.
- Where the heck to mount the Kenwood amp? It doesn't fit well under the passenger seat or under the second row seat. I have a third row seat so I don't want to just staple it to the wall in the back either. Where is yours?
- I don't like the fact that the highs are going to be coming out down by my feet so I'd like to mount some dome tweeters up higher. Where is a good spot? The pillar between the front and back seat is right next to my ear, so I'm not sure i want to put it there either. What about on the front pillar (by the windshield?)

DEAL ALERT: Crutchfield has the 6x8 Polk Audio DB571's "buy one pair, get one pair half off" until April 29th. It was a pretty good deal, and they perfectly match the power specs of my Kenwood amp.

I havent even started figuring out how to cram the 12" Memphis sub behind the 3rd row seat yet. Theres tons of posts about it and I have some reading to do. That will be interesting. From what I've read, I may have to downsize to a 10 if i wanna put it in the side cargo area. Anyway, thanks for any replies in advance.

-Scotto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not familiar with your 3rd gen Ex, but my second gen has 2 good spots to put some, on the A pillar, and there is a spot where the plastic goes up to cover the mirror bolts on the door, that also seems to be a good spot. From what I have been told is that tweeter placement id important, and that if it too close, or too far away the highs may drop off, If I where you I would just hook them up temporary and place them in different locations until it sounds good for you, then worry about mounting them.

Hey thanks!

Thanks for the reply 1996BLKBauer. Thats a good thought on testing the location. I guess it would be easy to drive a tweeter off the back of the head temporarily to see where it would work best. Your A pillar idea was where I was leaning, wondered if anyone else had tried them there.:thumbsup:

i tried a bunch of places with them just on the wires,, end up putting them here ,,

385860_10151027356935165_713775164_21991032_581375880_n.jpg

377854_10151027360230165_713775164_21991040_1238675629_n.jpg

i know it's a 2nd gen , but the placement does a ton for setting up the soundstage or spacious feeling you get if the speakers are moved around making it sound bigger,

place them where it gives the most wide feeling to the sound, and you can hear both of them, or it will sound lopsided,,

Good photos Corkey, The place i was thinking was above on the triangle looking part. but tweeter depth may be an issue, along with it possible not being able to close the door...

awesome pics

great pics and good idea. My door is a little bit different than yours, but i think it would still work. Highs not direct in to your ears right there either. Thats worth a shot. Thanks for the post

You could do like I saw on the site and make custom holders out of your vents on the dash. The side window defrost vents to be exact. You'd need some fiberglass experience though, but it'd look amazing.

Back