• Register Today It's free!

amplifier assistance

thekalimist

Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0
I realize this has already been addressed but I havent been able to find anything to help me in what Im trying to do. I have a 1996 Explorer with the JBL system and what Id like to do is to pull the signal from my stock sub and feed it to my amp for my external subwoofer. The consequent function of my stock subwoofer is not important. I am also using the stock head unit and I would really prefer not to have to use one of those adapters to RCA. As a college student I am on a budget and I am using my system from my old car, sans the headunit.

This results in a few questions that Im hoping you all can answer:

1. Should I just remove the rear panel and subwoofer/enclosure/amp and take the signal wires going into the stock amp and connect them to the high level imput on the new amp?
-I would rather not have to do this as I have big hands so reinstalling all the trim clips is pretty difficult for me and i dont want to have a gaping hole where the sub used to be.

2. Can I tap into the stock amp signal somewhere else on its route from the HU to the sub? If so what color wires am I looking for? Also if I do this is there a remote also heading to the amp, and what color is it?
-I removed the passenger rear door sill and discovered a slew of wire leading to the rear of the car and to tell you the truth Id really like to tap into these so I can keep a clean sort of stock looking setup, with the exception of the subwoofer sitting in my trunk, and have the wires run under the rear seat to the new amp.

Again, Im sorry I know that this has probably been addressed but I was unable to find anything pertaining to my problem. So any light you can shed on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup: Jordan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just make life much easier and get the line output to RCA converters. They only cost like $20 at Best Buy. It will be easier (and probably cheaper in the long run) than trying to figure out a way to use the stock configuration.

just cut the imput for the factory amp and run it into the LOW (RCA) imput of the new amp thats all u need to do.

theres 5 different wires goin into the amp, i dont know which one is which. But I removed the insde panel and the sub and I think im just going to run the wires that connect straight to the subwoofer and connect those to the High input on the new amp, will this work?

ok so i took the signal from the stock sub outputs, it sounds great - loud boomy and smooth. I ended up having to wire my remote hot, Id really rather not do this but i dont know the location of any acc wires. so now i need your assistance in locating somewhere i can tap 12v that is not hot at all times. I cant get my headunit out, i dont know why but everytime i try to pull it the enitre trim comes out with it, still restricting access to wires. any help wopuld be greatly appreciated.

Back