• Register Today It's free!

Annoying Squeak,Help

Frank D

Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff,Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96ExplorerXLT4x4
Hello,I have got this squeak in the front end of my 96 XLT4wd,it's been doing this for about 2 years now and I'm at my wits end!It does'nt do it all the time,one day it will and the next it won't,never does it when I take it in under warranty.It is like a chirping high pitch squeak(not constant chirp chirp chirp etc).It starts at about 22 mph down to about 5mph then stops.OK I've coasted with the trans.in neutral still does it,Ive turned the engine off and coasted,still does it,Had new brakes put on and the front wheel bearings are ok.I change the oil and lube it every 3000 miles.It does it brakes applied or not.I'm hoping someone had the same thing happen and can enlighten me.All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.I can't think of anything else .....HELP!!!!!
Thanks,
Frank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know exactly what you mean. I came to the conclusion that it was one of two things.

1.Front break pads wearing down
2.Dust cover in hub assembly bad

Not sure though, because right at the moment, I cannot hear the squeak. It comes and goes.

you done any lifting or anything? could be misalignment of the drive shaft or something.

is it a metal on metal kind of squeaking, or does it sound like brakes squeaking?

if its metal on metal, check the driveshaft angles, and diff. fluid.

if its a brake squeaking sound, replace the shocks. we had a Ford Aerostar and it started to make that noise (my ranger is starting to now also). try that. if anything it will at least improve handling and whatnot.

if its been 2 years, im sure it's fine or something would have broken by now.

warped rotors maybe? did you replace the rotors when you replaced the brakes or just the pads?

Originally posted by Jason_25

2.Dust cover in hub assembly bad

yeah, im not saying this is what your problem is, but i just had this fixed on my truck 2 weeks ago. it would squeak when the truck rolled forward, but not backward and i could hear it all the way up to about 40 mph, then it went away. it was real high pitched and drove me nuts. ford fixed it for free under warranty, otherwise it would have cost about $100. my trucks also a 98; i dont know if theres differences in that area between 96 & 98.

just a suggestion to look into. good luck, squeaks like that are always a PITA.

May not be the right answer in your case, but I had an intermittent, inconsistent squeak in the front end of my '87 Bronco II. One day I went out and just started bouncing on the bumper to "check" the shocks. After I got it bouncing enough, it started to chirp. Followed the chirp and it turned out to be a loose bolt on one of the shocks. Check the fasteners on your X. It may not be the right answer, but it doesn't cost anything but a little time to check.

I've seen a bad u-joint do something like this...is the noise constant or does it vary with the vehicle speed?

It sounds just like the dust boot covers. The way to see if it is the dust boot covers. Try driving in reverse, if it only squeals going forward, it is the dust boot covers. There is a TSB out #01-11-4. Costs Approx. $100, parts and labor at a Ford Dealer. Basically it is the inner bearing seal rubbing, sounds just like brake pads going out, but try driving in reverse, that will tell you.

:cool:

I had the same problem w/ mine. The noise seemed to be louder on cold and/or raining days. It turned out to be the dust boot shields. About a year after having them updated, the noise came back. I took it back to the mechanic he lubed something or another and the noise has not come back since.

About my squeak

Wow thanks for the info!! By the sound of it I'm pretty dang sure it's the dust covers.My 96 is bone stock for now,warranty is up in May or 2500 miles.Thanks again for the replies I'm printing them up goin to the Dealer with them in hand.One would think that the dealers(2 that I went to) would be aware of this occurance.This was my 1st post but I have always been reading.
Thanks again and GOOD WHEELIN TO YA ALL!!!!:)

Regarding squeak

Hello again I Have a dumb question.What is a TSB?I will also post my results from the dealer next week............Thanks again.............Frank

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. Doesn't rate a recall, but it is Ford basically saying we realize there is a problem here is the fix. It doesn't rate a recall, because it isn't safety thing and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

You can see your recalls and TSB at www.alldata.com

I did the same thing, I took the TSB sheet in to the dealer and showed them. They only charged me $35.00 diagnostic fee vice $75.00 because it helped them out. Good Luck.

Back