• Register Today It's free!

Another 5sp auto bites the dust

CHuntMD

Reaction score
City, State
Upper Marlboro, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC XLT, 94 4.0 SC
97 SOHC w/117,000 non-tow easy miles and the O/D light started flashing last night. Got it home, ATF looks/smells good. On the way to the shop the tranny was rough between gear changes but after a mile the O/D light turned off and the hifts are normal.

The shop found the code po741 Torque converer clutch system stuck off.

They want almost $3,000 for a reman installed. Had another mechanic call around, Jasper want's $2,500 and Ford $2,400 just for the part alone.

Some how someone has switched my Ford tranny with one out of a BMW or MB! Why in the world are these things so expen$ve?

I drove it to a Tranny Shop and they will check it over tomorrow. The rep told me he just did a 00 X last week w/same tranny for $2100 out the door.

Will find out tomorrow.

You could always do better than $2,100, but it's not always the best way. What kind of warranty do they offer? Ask about an extended one. I put 3 trannies in my last explorer before I dumped it. One was only 1k out of warranty. Low mile trannies are about $700 here, though salvage parts can be a gamble.

Run from these guys. At least go to Ford. They will likely only charge you $800 for a valve body exchange. Even that is offensive. This tranny has common problems with valve bofy gaskets blowing out, generally from loose bolts. Unless they found tons of metal in the pan this is nothing but a minor valve body problem.

Got the call from Glen Burnie Transmissions and it it the Torque Converter. They are going to rebuild and update for around $2000.

There goes the tax refund ;)

Chris

Back