Another Explorer transmission horror story. Please read... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Explorer transmission horror story. Please read...

should we just give up on it!?

• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've been having a lot of trouble with my subaru (yea, car trouble comes in multiples it seems) and that seems to be taking up a LOT of my time right now. If you still have it around, I'd certainly like to talk to you about getting it! That's a very kind offer!
Just saw this; truck has already been donated to Mother Waddles. good luck.

@jimborasco .....Stuck in 3rd, same transmission error codes, no matter which transmission is in it and it does it as soon as the thing is started, before ever putting it in gear.

"Stuck in 3rd, same transmission error codes, no matter which transmission is in it and it does it as soon as the thing is started, before ever putting it in gear."

Here's a thought which just struck home. Was the Transmission Range Sensor from the original transmission used on ALL of the transmissions? If it is broken or faulty, it could cause the transmission to go into 3rd. gear immediately upon starting the engine. Rarely is a rebuilt transmission supplied with a new TRS; the old one is invariably used. I would think it might throw a code if faulty, but then again maybe not.

The TRS moves with the gearshift selector to electronically "tell" the PCM (computer) which gear or position, Park, Neutral, is being chosen. It is nothing more than a multiple position electrical switch. If it is broken and stuck in 3rd. gear position, ya got it!

Accessed on the outside of the transmission, easily removed and replaced, around fifty bucks or so. Looks like this:

$_35.jpg

Check it out before delving into wiring. Just a thought. imp
Now that we've got our Subaru running so we have SOMETHING to drive, I'll get back on the Explorer and this is certainly something to try! Thanks!!

Back