Explorer transmission, slipping returned after new VB?? Need ideas please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer transmission, slipping returned after new VB?? Need ideas please

bdashill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hello. I was hoping you guys could give some suggestions on my Explorer tranny issue as it has stumped my father and I once again.

Quick background:
My father and I are pretty handy and repair our own cars often, however this is our first venture into the Explorer transmission.
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4, 190,000 miles.

Timeline, in order(Spanning about 3-4 weeks):

Initial problem began with flashing O/D light

Progressed to flashing O/D light, along with slipping from 2nd to 3rd gears requiring letting up on gas to switch gears.

Got codes read: P0733, P0741, P0745

Pan Drop #1 :
Replaced solenoid pack, trans filter, trans fluid. Cleared PCM
Followed Fordtechmakuloco’s Solenoid video to a T: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5D6m4h7fW4
Result: No change in shifting. O/D light still returned after 5-10 minutes of driving. Did not get code read. Suspected servo bores.

Servo Bore Replacement:
Replaced both servo bores with http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/ bores. Band adjustment. Cleared PCM
Result: Shifting once again back to normal! However O/D light returns after 5-10 minutes of driving. Got code read, only P0741 now remained. Figured might is well get in there again and swap out valve bodies

Pan Drop #2 :
Replaced valve body with rebuilt one from http://www.centralvalvebodies.com/, all new fluid again.
Followed Fordtechmakuloco’s Valve Body video to a T: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXt-gE95C-Y
Kept same trans filter and solenoid pack as they were replaced with pan drop #1 . Cleared PCM.
Result: Unfortunately, now the slipping 2nd to 3rd has returned (and almost seems worse than before) and the O/D light remains. Have not had codes read again as I assume it’s still P0741 and now possibly something else VB related since it's the only thing different from prior step where shifting was fine. Also have not had a chance to have codes read again as this let-down occurred last night.

Conclusion:
So seeing as how the last thing we changed was the valve body and shifting was normal before swapping it… is it possible something bad/wrong in the rebuilt valve body would cause the shifting issues again? I followed all torque specs and pattern to a T according to the video.

One concern I have is that in the Valve Body video, fordtechmakuloco states “Don’t flip the valve-body over because it has the check balls inside. In case you are reusing it.” I didn’t reuse my old VB, but seeing as how my new valve body came in the mail, it was certainly flipped around and upside-down during its trip. Was there something I could’ve done prior to the install to make sure the check balls were in the correct location?

I know the for sure way to check if the “new” valve body is the culprit is to put my old one back in. But if I’m going to take the trans fluid shower again, I’d rather do it to possibly check and fix something I might have missed when installing the new VB and keep that one in there. Otherwise it looks like I’m pan dropping two more times to put back in the old VB, prove it shifts fine again, then getting yet another VB and swapping again. Ugh.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the things that can fall out or get misplaced in the valve body will be fine as long as the metal separator plate stays on the valve body. So I wouldn't worry about those items getting misplaced during shipping.

The P0741 code is for the converter lockup system, sometimes its the valve body, but other reasons for the P0741 code can be problems with the pump and or the converter itself, I see this more often. I have never had to replace a valve body on this transmission.

Your 2-3 shift issue is most likely due to worn servo bores, the servos you installed with the o rings can help seal up the worn area in the case but if they are badly worn the worn spots can damage the o rings on the servos. Also I see badly worn/burnt bands with the transmission with worn bores, so you might have "fixed" the worn bores with the servos but the band itself could be damaged.

The P0745 code is usually related to the solenoid block, if it has not come back then replacing the block fixed that.

I feel like the only way you are going to be able to take care of this thing is to pull it out and rebuild it with a kit, new converter, sleeve the case and replace all bands at a minimum.

Thanks for the response and input. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it had the other issues you describe as well.

I just don't understand how it could go from shifting perfect to slipping after only a VB swap unless it was an issue with the VB. And this was immediately after the swap, not something that came back over time.

I don't really want to put any more money and time it would take to pull out and rebuild the whole thing, so I think I might just throw the old VB back in, and then just drive it with the 0741 light until it finally dies. At least it was shifting perfect then with only a nagging light.

190,000 MILES is really good before a complete rebuild. I fooled around with mine and got fed up with it. O ringed servos, solenoid blocks etc.
Bit the bullet and had it rebuilt at 103,000 miles. $2000 later and it shifts like new. Plus new torque converter.
Sometimes it is rebuild time.

The problem ended up being that I was sent the wrong valve body. The one I was sent had three small holes different than mine that made all the difference. I have since been sent the correct one and once again dropped the pan, took the bath and I'm happy to report that the Explorer is finally running perfect with no trans codes.

It sucked having to drop another $50 in fluid and spend another chunk of a Saturday due to a sellers mistake, but I can't complain too bad given the final result.

So in conclusion, my slipping flaring from 2nd-3rd, and codes P0733, P0741, P0745 were completely resolved by: replacing the servo bores, solenoid block and valve body.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've just replaced the VB, Solenoid block, filter and servo bores all at once rather than doing a pan drop several times($50 in fluid each time) as I try each part.

Back