Another guy with ABS light problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another guy with ABS light problems.

headrush

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
Alright guys this seems to be a common issue, one that I thought could have been solved by replacing the rear speed sensor (on the differential) but no such luck. Now I'm really scratching my head, and without having the codes read yet I don't know what exactly the problem is. ABS light has been on and steadily staying for a while now, and the brake light on the instrumental panel shows up intermittently. Problem is, my brakes are fine. 'Brake' light seems to come on occasionally when going uphill or downhill and applying the brakes. I'd like to know what the deal is with this ABS light first, because I think it's the main culprit. Any advice to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Cliff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to get the codes read, then get back on here. Go to advance or autozone and get them read for free.

Thanks, I was aware of that but upon going to Autozone they said they didn't have the equipment to do it. From the posts I've read, it looks like reading ABS codes requires more than the same tool used for 'check engine' codes. Since I've replaced the rear speed sensor, maybe it's the Vehicle speed sensor (VSS)?

And sorry, I know this is the wrong forum...meant to post in the stock forum.

Yes, it could be the VSS or one of the front wheel speed sensors (which are high dollar). Somehow you need to read the codes. I would be happy to read them for you with my scanner, but I am about 2.5 hours away from you (NC).

Alright, well a little overdue but I did in fact install the rear speed sensor but no luck. ABS light still on. I've heard something about fuses or wiring along the framerail and within the engine bay that I can unplug/clean. Can somebody help me with locating these? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Cliff, is the light on right from start-up, or does it come on after you are in motion? What brand rear sensor did you use?

For a while the light was only on when I applied light brake pressure, but now it just stays on. Brand was BWD Automotive, bought from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Did anything change when you put in the new rear sensor? I put in a new BWD and it did not work. ALthough my light went from always on to coming on only when I got over 15 MPH and it then stayed on. New Motorcraft F85Z9E731AB sensor fixed everything

Hmmm that's interesting...I guess I could try another brand but I'm looking for the most cost effective option, and BWD was it. How much did you pay for the Motorcraft if you don't mind my asking?

And to answer your question, when I put the BWD in nothing changed one bit. My ABS light had already been staying on from startup.

I paid full list at a dealer in Buffalo NY $27.95. But they wanted $41.95 at first, as he tried to say there was a recent price increase. When I complained a little he said I could have it at the old price of $27.95.

I was looking to get the code read, but took a chance that the BWD was defictive. I worked out for me, although I had the BWD in for 8 months before I got the Ford part

Just put the new one in (Motorcraft) and light is still on. Was yours an instant fix? I might have to drive around a bit in hopes that it turns off.

Mine was an instant fix.

Code reader for ABS

I have an auto xray 6000 scanner. My question is will it read trouble codes for the abs system?

Back