Pulsating Brake Pedal with ABS Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulsating Brake Pedal with ABS Light

Cty6460

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT AWD
I have a sporadic problem on my '97 Explorer XLT V-8 AWD wherein my brake pedal pulsates (vibrates) and seems to almost make a buzzing-type of sound when I am coming to a slow stop. It sort of feels like a crunching-grinding sensation. It only happens occasionally and when it does, my brakes appear to fail and my ABS light comes on for awhile. I had it checked at my local shop and they couldn't get the problem to replicate itself. They checked the overall brake condition and said they look okay. I'm in San Diego so ice and wet roads are not part of the problem.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

P.S. 1st time poster, so please bear with me.

Its probably a sensor. I had the same problem and pulled the wire to the problem sensor and the issue went away. This fix will bypass the ABS and leave the light on. I put tape over the light to pass inspection. LOL

I have a sporadic problem on my '97 Explorer XLT V-8 AWD wherein my brake pedal pulsates (vibrates) and seems to almost make a buzzing-type of sound when I am coming to a slow stop. It sort of feels like a crunching-grinding sensation. It only happens occasionally and when it does, my brakes appear to fail and my ABS light comes on for awhile. I had it checked at my local shop and they couldn't get the problem to replicate itself. They checked the overall brake condition and said they look okay. I'm in San Diego so ice and wet roads are not part of the problem.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

P.S. 1st time poster, so please bear with me.

Most likely a sensor. The shop should be able to read codes and find out which sensor is bad. Ask the next shop if they have an ABS code reader and get a quick reading. Some shops will do it at a nominal cost if you ask around.

Back