SGMACHINE

Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks,Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 NBX
Gentlemen,
Maybe you can help me out?

I have a 2003 NBX with a 4.0 currenty running with minimal heat.

It's never really had great heat. Last year it started making the blend door actuator click. Changed that out. Door is working as the temp is changing with the blend door actuator control.

I threw a new thermostat at it (second time in 2 years)but no change.
Using my DMM with a thermometer attachment it blows about 65 degrees on fan setting 4 (outside temp was -25). Temp at the vents increases with engine RPM. The rear heater is the same. So I beilive it is not a problem in the heater housing?I took the fan clutch off and drove it and it made heat, 95 degrees actually, it also over heated.
So I put a new fan clutch on and now it is cold again.

Engine temps (after driving 5 miles)with a infra-red thermomter are 120 going into the heater core. 165 at the thermostat housing.

I am not sure where to go next?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A friend of mine has an 04 X W/V6 and seems to do the same thing. He can let it warm up in the driveway for 20 min. and heater blows cold. Get the RPMs over 2000 or so and the heater starts blowing warmer. Front & rear blow the same. He has done thermostat change, coolant change, core flush. Nothing seems to help.
Any ideas???

Heater core is likely bad and plugged. If that is not the case, then there is a likelihood of the water pump not working correctly.

Check to make sure the heater control valve is shifting to allow flow to the heater core. Otherwise it bypasses the heater core and no heat. It's on the passenger side, just follow the heater core supply hose.

Im having the same problem. I have flushed the whole system including both cores changed the control valve and thermostat. The only thing left that I can think of is the water pump, but would there be any other indications of a poorly working water pump?

A water pump may be weak and not completely shot. In some cases it may leak, but I think the only way to find out is to get to it. To my understanding the problem is with the fins that break off.

Thanks I had already purchased a pump but was debating on sending it back. I guess it doesnt hurt to change it either way

I ended up replacing the heater core. It weighed about 4 times as much as the replacement. Pretty much plugged. Your could force some air through it but for it to make heat with the low RPMs that these things drive in,the core needs to be completely free. I am sure that the rear heater core is also plugged and will get to it later. I figure there is some sort of electrolisys going on so for now on it's a yearly flush and fill for this rig.
SG

Back