Another question about the first gen moonroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another question about the first gen moonroof

donzoh1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Does anyone know which Explorers would have had the factory moonroof, whether they be XL, XLT, Eddie Bauer, etc. I think the 4dr has different designations than the 2dr but not sure on that. I'm guessing the moonroof would have been optional on some trim levels rather than being guaranteed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 93 and 94 Limited models all had it. I would avoid that sunroof if you can. Mine has a slight dip of the roof at the back edge, and leaks water in heavy rain. I plan to cut it out some day and put sheet metal in with reinforcement. The convenience of a sunroof comes with a long term risk of leaks.

The 93 and 94 Limited models all had it. I would avoid that sunroof if you can. Mine has a slight dip of the roof at the back edge, and leaks water in heavy rain. I plan to cut it out some day and put sheet metal in with reinforcement. The convenience of a sunroof comes with a long term risk of leaks.

I found one today that has an electric sunroof that the owner tells me is original equipment on an XLT. Until now, I thought they were exclusively manual pop up moonroofs. Any guesses as to which ones may have been electrical? My best information is that the pop up moonroof was found on the Eddie Bauer and the Limited versions. I'm guessing they might be optional on the other trim levels?

I found one today that has an electric sunroof that the owner tells me is original equipment on an XLT. Until now, I thought they were exclusively manual pop up moonroofs. Any guesses as to which ones may have been electrical? My best information is that the pop up moonroof was found on the Eddie Bauer and the Limited versions. I'm guessing they might be optional on the other trim levels?

First of all, as I have always known it -- at least with Fords:
Sunroof -- always pop-up, manual
Moonroof -- always sliding, electric.

I don't remember this being discussed in the "differences" thread, but just going off my memory (ha ha) I have only ever seen a moonroof on Limiteds (93-94). As for EB's, XLT's, and Sports I have only ever seen sunroofs -- but i don't know if it was a factory option or not. I remember a friend having a '93 Sport with a sunroof, but it could have been aftermarket. Back in those days (90's) there were a lot of places installing aftermarket sunroofs (and even some moonroofs).

I thought the electric sunroofs only began in 1995. There are aftermarket units, and often those are found in many Fords. The OEM is desired for better parts and service information. You can retrofit an electric version from any if you like, there are generally only a couple of wires to add. The sheet metal perimeter around the sunroof is the hard part, I had cut that out of my 99 when I scrapped the extra parts. That piece got scrapped by accident by a friend, so I can;t help with that. But I do have the rest of my old 99 sunroof, it had one crack of the plastic at one corner of the inner assembly. The roof section is the part that has to be done right, cut well, lined up, welded in smoothly etc.

99Sunroof.jpg

99SunroofLip02.JPG

I'm either going to find the replacement hardware for the B2 Pop-Up or the comparable hardware for the Explorer Pop-Up or I'm just going to glue it all back in place with silicone.

I'd run Ultra Black RTV around the perimeter of the glass for now, until you find what you want, to fix. I'm about to do that with my 98 until I have time to pull the headliner. A caulk sized tube runs $15 or so, it's gone up recently.

My DD is a '94 Limited with no moonroof or sunroof. I have another '94 Limited (parts vehicle) with an OEM sunroof. My wife's '92 XLT, purchased new, came with a sunroof.

First of all, as I have always known it -- at least with Fords:
Sunroof -- always pop-up, manual
Moonroof -- always sliding, electric.

Power Moonroof - Sliding, Electric
Moonroof - Pop-up, Manual Or Remove Glass

I have all Sales Brochures and Windows Stickers for my Vehicles which states this......

Very cool. The dealers were quick to order every option for the top models, so a sunroof is virtually guaranteed for a Limited Explorer. I learned that with the Lincoln Mark VII's, which also had more sunroofs than not. I wish mine didn't have them, they are a lot of trouble when they get old. Thanks for the resource link.

Back