Another Reverse no forward gears | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Reverse no forward gears

My 96 Explorer has the opposite symptoms. I have forward gears but no reverse gear.

I took the truck out to run some errands this morning then came back home. I parked it for a bit to shovel down a snow bank infront of my garage, then pulled the truck up to check fluids and put in more wiper fluid. I backed out and decided to take the truck around the block. I heard a whine while I was driving I thought it was the heat fan because I had it turned all the way up. I turned the system off and the whine went away. I got close to the house and heard the whine again. When I tried to back into a parking spot, the reverse gear did not connect. I could hear the gears spinning but never connected.

The truck/tranny has 163k. The engine was rebuilt last year and now has 15k miles. I do get the flashing O/D light after about 15 minutes of driving.

What approach should I take? I'm a novice dealing with Explorer and repairs.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Ther flashing OD light is telling the computer has stored a code that will help us diagnose your problem, Get that code read and tell it what it is. Not what someone tells you it means, but the ACTUAL CODE NUMBER, LIKE P0743.

Then we will be better able to help you.

I am betting you likely have a VB issue.

Back