Another satisfied Hurst shifter customer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another satisfied Hurst shifter customer

oxrageous

Reaction score
City, State
Vero Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 5-Speed
I've read 3 or 4 threads about members buying (and loving) their Hurst shifter, so I knew I had to try it out as well. For just over $200, we aren't talking about big money here. The upside would be huge, as I could kill a few birds with one stone. Firstly, the sloppy stock shifter flopping all over the place would become a distant memory. Secondly, shifts would be a lot shorter and more precise. Thirdly (and perhaps most importantly), there would be no interference for large drinks put in the cupholders. Wow!

At any rate, I ordered it from Jegs and got it in 4 days. It took about 90 minutes to install, with me taking my time. Installation was straight forward and easy with the instructions. At first I tried it with the stock boot, and it looked okay...but I figured I might as well go with the extra flash. I ended up installing the Hurst boot inside the stock plastic base and screwing everything back in. I think it looks great.

As far as function, these things are amazing. My primary car (a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo) has had a short shifter in it for over a year, so I'm used to the feel. In the beginning you don't really like it, then after a few days you get more used to and and better at it. After a few weeks, you wouldn't go back to the stock shifter if threatened. Each shift gives a confident "click" that's very satisfying.

With the long, floppy shifters these Explorers have, I'm rather surprised more people haven't done this mod. Protect your drinks, boys....buy the Hurst.

The pictures below will demonstrate just how short the throws are.

Hurst1.bmp

This is me in FIRST gear
Hurst2.bmp

This is me in SECOND gear
Hurst3.bmp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like i'm going to have to get me one of those. :D

A couple of questions:
In the 1-3-5 position, the knob appears to be very close to the dash; any problem with knuckle-banging on quick shifts?
Part number?

All in all, very nice, and nicely done.

i gotta get rid of my body lift so i can get one of those.

It does look close to the panel in first gear, but I don't see how that can be because the Hurst is a shorter throw and the stick has an angle in it. The stock stick is straight.

Is the Hurst stick shorter? I like to rest my elbow on the armrest when I shift. Could I still do this with the Hurst shifter, or does it require more of a stretch to reach it?

I think there's a thread on the Hurst shifter on the engine and drive train forum. I'm going to search there.

Bob

Congrats:D I love mine too;)

Yup, Think I'll get one, too. I love the stock big stick, but it is kinda sloppy and the shift is really long, sorta like an old school bus. The short shifter will be next after my gauge project.

or those contemplating the Hurst, just go to the "under the hood and driveline" forum and search on "Hurst shifter". There's a nice thread there, with pictures.

Bob

Back