New here, just bought a hurst shifter. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here, just bought a hurst shifter.

James925speed

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisville, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer
Hi every body, I am new Here and I just bought a Hurst shifter online at performanceparts.com it should be at My house tomorrow. it's too bad that me and the family are in Vegas until Monday. Hopefully the ups guy hides the package well, lol. I cant wait to get home and install my shifter.

Has anyone ever had any problems with the Hurst shifter?
Is there any threads about it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh I hate when that happens, your out of town, or gone for a few days, knowing your gonna have a pretty expensive package on your steps lol

I've got one. I mostly bought it to be able to use my cup holders. The shifting force required is a little excessive, but it feels nice and solid.

From what I remember, the boot ring it comes with doesn't work. I used my old boot ring and mod'ed the boot to fit my original ring. I think I posted some pictures of it after install.

EDIT:
Here's a link to my thread just after install. Some good info there.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207206

I had the shifter. It was great. I kept breaking my transmissions though...NOT the shifters fault...Too much power, To heavy of a SUV, Too much traction (285/50-18 tires) and a Light Duty Transmission is NOT a good combination..

Ryan

hey, you live near me, lol. which part of Harrisville do you live in?

Ahh I hate when that happens, your out of town, or gone for a few days, knowing your gonna have a pretty expensive package on your steps lol

I know man tell me about it. but maybe I should have waited to order it so I was there

I've got one. I mostly bought it to be able to use my cup holders. The shifting force required is a little excessive, but it feels nice and solid.

From what I remember, the boot ring it comes with doesn't work. I used my old boot ring and mod'ed the boot to fit my original ring. I think I posted some pictures of it after install.

EDIT:
Here's a link to my thread just after install. Some good info there.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207206

yes, I want to use my cup holders as well, I was wondering if this would fix that.

thanks for the thread link should be helpful

hey, you live near me, lol. which part of Harrisville do you live in?

I live near the flying J, lol. maybe you could help me next week, I need to replace the radiator. do you know how to do a radiator on an explorer?

use blue loctite on the bolts, and I stuffed the boot with some spare carpet padding i had from when i replaced the carpet. Cuts down on noise alot.

use blue loctite on the bolts

Good mention. I forgot about that. Loctite them all. Mine came loose a couple of times before I loctited them down. No problems anymore.

If your shift rail plugs aren't leaking yet, and you haven't replaced them, I recommend doing that at the same time. About the time I put the shifter in, the plugs started leaking. It took me a month to figure out the shifter had nothing to do with the new leak.

Forget the loctite.

Get a longer bolt, and use a nut on the other side of the shifter arm, as a jam-nut.

Ryan

Back