Another "Where's my coolant going?" thread... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another "Where's my coolant going?" thread...

TorontoGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XL
So, I'm having a mystery of the disappearing coolant. I'll fill up the overflow and in a few days it's bone dry and the level in the rad is a touch low. I can't notice any obvious leaks (and I feel that it would be pretty obvious if there was one). There's no puddles on my driveway or in my parking spot at work and there isn't the slightest bit of white smoke out the tail pipe. There isn't even the slightly sweet smell of burning coolant anywhere to be found.

I'm going to do a pressure test next week but figured I'd see if you guys had anything I should look at.

About a month ago I did a full system flush (just garden hose, no chemicals), replaced the thermostat, and changed the heater core. Prior to doing this work it never lost any coolant. I checked the heater core and nothing is leaking there.

I feel that if it were burning all this coolant I'd be able to see and/or smell it, but nothing.

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Bad cap.

Puking coolant on the ground instead of the bottle while driving.

Thanks very much for the suggestion but after doing a pressure test it was obvious where the coolant was coming from. The seams at the side of the rad let go and were leaking when the system was at full pressure. Most definitely leaking while driving.

Cheers!

Back