• Register Today It's free!

anti lock brake problem

yankeepride13

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer 6 cyl ohv
I have a 99 explorer that when I'm going very slow and go to stop the anti lock brakes engage. The pedal pulsates a little an the truck creeps to a stop. I just replaced the calipers and pads and bled the lines. Is there something I'm missing here with the ABS system or do I need a new Masters cylinder as well.
Dave

Post in the correct place

Your description says you have a 1999 model year explorer- this is the 2011-2014 explorer section. Hopefully a moderator can move this for you, as being in the correct forum will yield better and more constructive responses.

You may have gotten air into the ABS system.

I have a 99 explorer that when I'm going very slow and go to stop the anti lock brakes engage. The pedal pulsates a little an the truck creeps to a stop. I just replaced the calipers and pads and bled the lines. Is there something I'm missing here with the ABS system or do I need a new Masters cylinder as well.
Dave

I had this same problem after I replaced my rotors and pads recently. I drove with it like that for a few weeks until i got sick of it. What fixed the problem was taking off the rotors and wiping clean [using a toothbrush and a soft wire brush] the ABS sensor that sticks thru the splashguard. both sides were dirty. I hear this is a delicate part so be gentle but remove any crud from the sensor. I should have taken a before/after photo because before was dark brown and after was shiny metal. I also wire-brushed the tone ring tips on back of the rotors for good measure.

Back