• Register Today It's free!

Anti rattle clips

mydland89

Reaction score
City, State
Hornell, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Black 5.0 AWD XLT
is it possible that not having anti-rattle clips on my brake pads would cause premature wearing of the pads???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the only reason for those was to keep noise down. When I did my balljoints I lost the anti-rattle clips and never replaced them. Haven't had any problems. Anyways, subscribing to see if premature wear is possible.

i posted about these clips last month...they don't seem to be avail. for purchase anywhere, anyway. The haynes manual shows them as a necessity, but i've never had 'em and didn't put any on when i did the overhaul in October. I've had no problem with "rattling" or braking for that matter. I do brakes once every year-year&1/2 (just b'c they're warrantied and i like to keep up on'em).

BTW, if you DO find the antirattle clips, let me know where...

I got some when I bought the "brake hardware" kit from AutoZone-- it includes the pins and the anti-rattle clips so I put them on. When I took the front-end apart to change my ball-joints, one of the clips broke in half and fell off when I removed the caliper. I assembled without it and haven't had any problems or noticed any additional wear on that side (I've looked at the pads a couple times since then.)

are the clips that you're talking about the ones that attach to the caliper or the pad itself?...i think that the antirattle clips we're talking about are the ones shown in the haynes manual, pg.9-6, pic 3.6j, that attack to the bottom "ear" of the brake pad

well the anti rattle clips are there to keep the pad snug vertically, so without it the pad can move up and down, causing strange wear characteristics, noise, and vibration.

Most auto parts stores sell them, I found a set at checker for $4

Back