83 XLT Front Brake Pads Rattle!!! Anti Rattle Clips?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

83 XLT Front Brake Pads Rattle!!! Anti Rattle Clips??

Sevenpelicans

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
93 XLT Front Brake Pads Rattle!!! Anti Rattle Clips??

So, I have allways had problems with my 93 XLT brake pads making tons of noise. It's either going over bumps as I drive or speed bumps or whatever if the front end vibrates I get loads of rattle and knocking noises. I am certain it is the pads. I just put new pads on the front end and they are worse then ever. I am using Ferodo pads because of their virtually unwarpable capabilities. I live in the mountains and have warped my rotors with every single type of pads except these.

Anyways, I have heard about anti-rattle clips but, have never seen them?? My question is how to I tighten up the pad to the caliper?? With the anti-rattle clips?? If so where do I get them?? Is their any other way to fix this?

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks for your time.

You get the anti rattle clips at an auto parts store.

How many miles are on the suspension, and usage?

My 93 Limited had a noise like that, before and after I did my last front brakes, and still does. I brought it home three days in a row. The second day I was looking for the noise, and readjusted the axle bearings(4x4). The next day the noise was still there, not quite as bad though. That third day I finally checked the ball joints. :(

My right two ball joints are a little loose, and that causes the pads and rotors to "rattle." I hope that yours might be the bearings, because I'm told that the ball joints are a big deal. I'm replacing my whole chassis, so I'm not fixing mine. LOL,
DonW

Thanks. Yeah, I really don't know. But, I think my ball joints might be going out also. When I am driving I feel a vibration or a wobble when I am turning. I mainly feel it down hill and when I am turning left? I know it isn't the bearing because I have rebacked them and tighted up the bolt, I shake the wheels while they are on the jacks and can't get any movement the wheels also roll fine when they are jacked up?? I have allways had this noise but, it seems like the new pads are much looser?

I guess I should check my ball joints and get the anti rattle clips.

Back