• Register Today It's free!

Anti Slosh Module

mekelly

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently changed my fuel pump and installed a Bosch (OE supplier) complete hanger assembly, pump, strainer, fuel sender.

Now my gas gauge will 'float' about a 1/4 - 1/2 tank or more when I drive. It will drift down towards empty, hang out there a little bit, and drift back. It does it slowly (say over the course of 10-15 minutes or so). The needle doesn't rapidly move back and forth. It will move from say 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank in 10 seconds or so and then hang out at 1/4 tank for 6-10 minutes and then take 10 seconds or so to come back to 1/2 tank. That's representative of the behavior I am seeing.

I tested the Bosch unit before I installed it and the sender read perfectly. It's awfully coincidental that a week after installing the new sender, the gauge started acting flaky but I don't believe it's the sender.

I started reading about the anti slosh module (didn't know they even had one) and my gut tells me that's the problem. Anyone know if they're available anywhere anymore or do you have to get one from a junkyard?

I plan on filling up with gas (so I know the level) and monitoring miles driven, checking the ohms reading at the pump connector and comparing that to the gas gauge.

Any other troubleshooting tips? Does it sound like the anti-slosh module?

On the back of the gauge there is a diod, resistor, yata, yata that slows down the needle movement. When the sender moves up and down in the tank the voltage at the gauge does the same. On older cars nothing was done and the gauge would bounce around.

It's not really something that needs to be fixed. A junk yard would probably be your only source to get one.

Similar set up similar problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJFTcu6sGZg

This dude right here:

fuel%20guage%20amp_zpsuhwptccw.jpg

once you remove the module from the cluster, look on the solder side of the board right behind "R2" in the above pic. you will find a micro-resistor labeled "000" most likely with a crack through a solder joint, repair and reinstall

Back