Anti-Slosh Module 1994 Limited Explorer Insturment Cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti-Slosh Module 1994 Limited Explorer Insturment Cluster

VA7LFD

Reaction score
City, State
Langley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition Expl
I tried everything to remove my insturment cluster to check the anti-slosh module. My fuel gauge has been stuck on empty ever since I bought the truck. Tried everything even disconnected speedometer cable from under the truck to give me more slack but I can't get it disconnected from the back of insturment cluster. Can't get my hand to the back.
Also whats this little cable assembly on the bottom of the cluster photo attached..

20181030_162552.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to reach back behind the cluster and twist, turn and pull out the speedo cable from the cluster. It's cable is smack dab in the middle. You also wanna unplug both connecter on each side of the cluster in the back if you're trying to remove it completely.

You shouldn't need to do all that though, the anti slosh module is on the left side of the cluster as you are looking at it. Just angle it a little bit and pull the computer chip looking thing out of the cluster.

The cable assembly in question is your gear selector indicator, it's what let's you know you're in D, R, N, etc. If it has some slack you can twist that black piece and tighten it up some so the arrow sits on top of the D, N, R instead of off to the side

The problem is likely the float in your gas tank if it is stuck on empty
The speedo cable you can get your hand up there, squeeze the sides of the plastic connector and it will come loose
The auto trans gear indicator is held in place with two plastic tabs, you carefully pry them out and the assembly will slide out the bottom of the cluster OR detach the cable on the steering wheel side of things and leave it in the cluster.....

What troubleshooting have you done? There are more likely causes, including, as 410Fortune notes, a stuck float, or the float just fell off. I just came off a long shift, but there are test points you can use to narrow this down. I'll hold off on your answer before going further with wiring diagrams and such.

I haven't looked into this for a while. But I think I'll check the float which might need some time. Are there any videos on dropping fuel tanks on a 94?

No video needed its pretty straight forward
disco - batt cable
depress shrader valve on fuel rail to ensure no pressure is left in the system
Jack up the rear of the truck and put on jack stands, the higher the better
If you want to make things easier you can jack up the front end too, safely on jack stands
unhook filler neck from body with 3 screws at gas cap
remove skid plate
place jack with a board to distribute the weight under the tank
remove the front two bolts holding tank to bracket
remove the strap holding up the rest of the tank
lower back half of tank down about half way
unhook the fuel tank wiring
Start working on the two "quick release" fuel line fittings at the pump
PB blaster and the correct tools are required here
Once unhooked, drop the tank all the way, slide it out from under truck and have a look inside
Use a wooden dowel and rubber hammer (or brass drift, what have you) to remove the lock ring so you do not generate sparks

After suspecting the slosh module in my white '92 "Dora" It ended up being a hole in the float. No wonder it always read empty. I used my "backup emergency gallon" of gas until I finally got tired of that. It's fixed now but I still carry the gallon tied down in the back. I know that is not the safest thing to do however the closest place to get fuel for me is 7 miles away in 3 different directions. I think it has come in more handy when I run out of gas mowing 2.5 acres

Back