• Register Today It's free!

anti theft bypass?

flareside942000

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I just swapped out the SOHC 4.0 in my 99 Explorer XLT for a 5.0 out of a wrecked Eddie Bauer. I installed the new ECM and when I went to fire it up the anti theft system went off and it wouldn't do a thing. I reinstalled my old V6 ECM and it fired right up (albeit it ran a little rough). A mechanic said that I would have to tow it to a dealer and have my new ECM programmed for my transponder keys. Anybody know how much this would cost at a dealer? Is there some way to temporarily bypass the anti theft so I can avoid a tow bill?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, you dont have to. My parents bought me an '99 Explorer XLT, and it didnt come with e key fob thing, so I got one off eBay, and programmed it myself. Cost like $20 witout shipping. Look in your manual or google the way on how its done. You have to like, turn it to ON, then flip it off, on off on 4 times, then put it in N or something, then press the button. Its difficult untill you know how. Just google the way and you should come up with it!

programming a 95/96/97

cycle iginition from off to run 5 times within 10 sec, ending in run, all doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode, press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. door locks will cycle(lock then unlock) to confirm programming. to program additional remotes - press any button on the next remote(upto 4 total possible) locks will cycle again. turn iginition off. locks will again cycle to indicate the end of the programming mode.

programming a 98/99/00/01

same as above - but cycle iginition off to run 8 times within 10 seconds

Welcome to the forum. Good luck!

Isn't he talking about the PAT system?

The donor 5.0 I assume is a 1999-2001 with no return fuel lines.

You need to use the PCM(not ECM) and PATS module that went with the donor engine. Those two components are married together. Each, the PCM and PATS, are programmed for each other. Only the dealers special machines can reprogram those for different modules. Meaning that if you can't get the 302 PATS module cheap and easy, it would be better to program the V8 PCM for your current PATS module. It shouldn't take the dealer more than 30 minutes to do any of that. Remember that the keys are programmed with the PATS module too.

hey guys i had someone try and steal my 98 explorer sport and now i cant get the thing to start ignition has been yanked. even if i put a flat head in the mechanism and try to start it, it only cranks over the starter but doesnt sound like its gettin fuel what can i do to get my beast back up and runnin without handing over an arm and a leg?

They likely destroyed the key code reader that is there around the key cylinder. Find out what is broken there and replace it. You can use those steering column parts from any 98-01 Explorer.

I'm glad to help. Those parts there around the key cylinder are very fragile, keep the cover on it when it's done. I had mine open for a long while and knocked the small sensor off which makes the buzzing sound when the key is in. If that is pulled out, the buzzer goes off anytime the door is open, key in or not.

i took the sensor out that does that cause i use my truck for music while im workin doing roofing and it bugged the **** out of me but not no more

Back