Any advice on talking the girlfriend out of a '11 JGC and into an Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any advice on talking the girlfriend out of a '11 JGC and into an Explorer?

OK let's at least be honest about this - GC is 16/22 with AWD/4WD the Ex is 19/25 with FWD/2WD and when the EX is equipped with AWD/4WD the difference becomes miniscule. Also most if not all of the review sites seem to test the GC at pretty close to the EPA numbers - The same sites seem to show the Ex as "not so much"..... Also the GC has a 24.7 gal tank as opposed to an 18.6.... giving it longer range.

there are plenty of reasons to by an Ex over a GC but the ones you cite are not it.... Also IIRc you are comparing a base GC (Laredo) to a full on EX (Ltd)

My mistake - you're right about the 4WD vs. FWD.
AWD Explorer is 17 city / 23 hwy / 19 combined - I'm getting 19.5 in my combined experience, so I'm not sure which "reviews" you are citing....

However, I was comparing the fully loaded Overland Summit 4x4 (which seems to be the best JGC you can buy) to the Fully loaded LTD.

See: http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201103WKJS74B/2TR/summary.do

You say:
"there are plenty of reasons to by an Ex over a GC but the ones you cite are not it"

- I beg to differ, as I DID choose the Ex over the JGC specifically for the availability of the second row captains chairs (which I mentioned in my post) which is a necessity to access the third row with carseats in the second row. Nowhere on Jeeps website can I find anything to indicate that the JGC has a captain's chair option and when we were shopping for a car, we were told by by the Jeep dealership that no such option existed.

To make a blanket statement that the differences I pointed out are not a reason to buy one over the other is ridiculous as everyone has their own priorities and their own valuations of different features. As an example - For many - captains chairs - wouldn't be important. But for our family it was huge.

Additionally, while self-park doesn't sound like a huge deal, I appreciate it more and more everyday as this car is LARGE and harder to parallel park than the sedans I'm used to.... I will probably insist on this feature in my next vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Girlfriend = gets what she wants

Wife = Gets what you want.

My mistake - you're right about the 4WD vs. FWD.
AWD Explorer is 17 city / 23 hwy / 19 combined - I'm getting 19.5 in my combined experience, so I'm not sure which "reviews" you are citing....

However, I was comparing the fully loaded Overland Summit 4x4 (which seems to be the best JGC you can buy) to the Fully loaded LTD.

See: http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201103WKJS74B/2TR/summary.do

You say:
"there are plenty of reasons to by an Ex over a GC but the ones you cite are not it"

- I beg to differ, as I DID choose the Ex over the JGC specifically for the availability of the second row captains chairs (which I mentioned in my post) which is a necessity to access the third row with carseats in the second row. Nowhere on Jeeps website can I find anything to indicate that the JGC has a captain's chair option and when we were shopping for a car, we were told by by the Jeep dealership that no such option existed.

To make a blanket statement that the differences I pointed out are not a reason to buy one over the other is ridiculous as everyone has their own priorities and their own valuations of different features. As an example - For many - captains chairs - wouldn't be important. But for our family it was huge.

Additionally, while self-park doesn't sound like a huge deal, I appreciate it more and more everyday as this car is LARGE and harder to parallel park than the sedans I'm used to.... I will probably insist on this feature in my next vehicle.

Not to get in a religous war with you. LOL! But I believe the GC with 3 rows of seats is called a Durango is it not?
(Badge engineering) also there is rumored to be a Grand Wagoneer for 2012 with 3 rows of seats too....

Unless you are making the payment, I side with the "let her chose" camp.

Besides, it's a lease...she will get a new one in two or three years. Don't sweat it.

Unless you are making the payment, I side with the "let her chose" camp.

Besides, it's a lease...she will get a new one in two or three years. Don't sweat it.

Absofequenlootely! Unless you are into sleeping on the couch?

There is no reason for that option to exist because the Jeep doesn't have a third row (or the option for one).

Correct- that would only be in the Durango...

Third-Row-600x400.jpg

Cargo1-600x431.jpg

OK let's at least be honest about this - GC is 16/22 with AWD/4WD the Ex is 19/25 with FWD/2WD and when the EX is equipped with AWD/4WD the difference becomes miniscule. Also most if not all of the review sites seem to test the GC at pretty close to the EPA numbers - The same sites seem to show the Ex as "not so much"..... Also the GC has a 24.7 gal tank as opposed to an 18.6.... giving it longer range.

there are plenty of reasons to buy an Ex over a GC but the ones you cite are not it.... Also IIRc you are comparing a base GC (Laredo) to a full on EX (Ltd)
I was comparing an XLT Explorer with MFT and AWD with a JGC Laredo 4wd. The Explorer was about 4k more expensive and the JGC had almost 4k in incentives while the Explorer had none (I know that this is actually a good thing for Ford but not for my girlfriend since she was already leaning toward the JGC).

Anyways the long and the short of it is that I believe that they are both great vehicles and MY next vehicle will be a Ford but nothing (except for the 45k F-150 FX4 that we drove) they had would sway her away from being a Dodge/Jeep girl.

So now I am trying to learn all I can about this new vehicle, it actually has some pretty nice features that I would not expect for a 32k SUV (well its on a unibody but whatever).

The main problem with the GC, trans sucks. that trannies for the 6 and the Hemi are just geared poorly and too long.... makes the V6 especially feel lethargic. There is an 8 speed auto coming out for it though.

I still don't know how other suv's, like the GC have no problem fitting a large fuel tank, yet Ford stuck the Explorer with a rinky dink 18 galloner. The Ex is a fairly large vehicle just like it's competitors, yet it has the smallest fuel tank.

The thought behind putting a smaller tankis this. If you had a bigger tank and you let it run low when you go to fill it up and it takes $ 80.00 to 90.00 bucks the first thing you would say i have to get rid of this truck. Now a smaller tank you might not say that. Its a mind thing like when you have a tooth ache you go to the dentist and the tooth ache is gone. Its the mind !!

The main problem with the GC, trans sucks. that trannies for the 6 and the Hemi are just geared poorly and too long.... makes the V6 especially feel lethargic. There is an 8 speed auto coming out for it though.

I still don't know how other suv's, like the GC have no problem fitting a large fuel tank, yet Ford stuck the Explorer with a rinky dink 18 galloner. The Ex is a fairly large vehicle just like it's competitors, yet it has the smallest fuel tank.

Actually according to most pundits the trans doesn't suk - it just has too few gears. A recent series of TSBs have greatly improved the performance of said trannys. However the 2012s will have a 6 speed (same number of gears as the EX) behind the Hemi (mainly by reprogramming it's existing "multispeed tranny which already has 6 gears) and sometime in 2012 the 6 cyl will get a ZF 8 speed..... THe thing to remember is the GC is actually capable of being taken seriously off road unlike the EX and the 5 speed (Designed and originally built by Mercedes) is pretty near bullet proof for that purpose...

Not saying one or the other is best - just that they are two different vehicles with different underlying design goals.... After all Ford even markets the EX as a "crossover" now....

Your choice would depend on your driving plans and personal preference! All the rest in here is just fan boyz talking IMHO - go to the Jeep board and you will get the same thing only inverted. :)

Both are excellent vehicles for their intended purpose IMHO!

Girlfriend = gets what she wants

Wife = Gets what you want.

Then it changes to:

Girlfriend = Gets nothing

Wife = Gets 1/2 of everything

Don't get married. Instead, save yourself the hassle-

Find someone you can learn to hate in 5 years, and just buy them a house.

Let her get the GC, the explorers dont lease well AT ALL. Since she likes the GC already let her get another one, because otherwise its just throwing money away.

Let her get the GC, the explorers dont lease well AT ALL. Since she likes the GC already let her get another one, because otherwise its just throwing money away.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Well it looks like the GC won out, well actually almost, I am negotiating with them to put a mopar trailer hitch on it. Other than that we should be sold on a dark green base 4x4 Laredo. I honestly didn't think I would like the GC as much as I did even with the V6. It should be a nice vehicle for us for the next 3 years.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Well it looks like the GC won out, well actually almost, I am negotiating with them to put a mopar trailer hitch on it. Other than that we should be sold on a dark green base 4x4 Laredo. I honestly didn't think I would like the GC as much as I did even with the V6. It should be a nice vehicle for us for the next 3 years.

Spotdog14 you are whipped! You need to set the precedence now before you get married or she will be wearing the pants from now on!

JUST KIDDING! The new Jeeps look nice!

What??? I got a .7% interest rate and a good (not great) residual. This one leased better than my 08, and I was happy with that one.

Incentives mean you need help selling a vehicle. Jeep needs help. Ford does not. You need to justify the value of the vehicle, not just the initial cost. What is the cost difference? Ford will have have a lot better resale value in 5 years, and the Jeep will fall flat, since there isn't really anything special about it.

But, if she's always had Jeep, I'd let her have another one. That way it's not your fault, and lets be honest- if things fall apart, she's still stuck with the vehicle.

:D

Historically, I think Jeep has had better resale value than the Explorer... Jeeps last forever.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't get married. Instead, save yourself the hassle-

Find someone you can learn to hate in 5 years, and just buy them a house.

:thumbsup:
"and just buy them a house"-----hilarious:chug:

Back