Any pics of a 2gen using 5th gen 18" oem rims??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any pics of a 2gen using 5th gen 18" oem rims???

Hey guys, i found some nice 18" wheels for my 2gen explorer, they are from a guy that owns a 2012 explorer if i´m not mistaken, he´s selling the wheels and tires very cheap but i´m still not convinced, if i should get those for my 2gen or just buy some aftermarket wheels and tires, if someone has a picture of a 2gen explorer using these 18" rims would help me a lot!!

rines.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't even think about it. The center bore diameter on those 5th gen rims will not fit over your larger 2nd gen hub AND the offset is wrong. Even if you were to increase the center bore (not recommended) on the 5th gen rims, they will be pulled "inboard" on your 2nd gen creating handling, clearance and safety issues.

wowww haha, thank god i posted!!! you helped me tons bro, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, already scratched the idea!

Sorry for the bump but I have been wondering would 5th gen fit on 3rd gen I have been seeing a lot of 5th gen wheels lately

I have a set of 5th gen sitting and the sons 2nd needs tires! Thinking of getting some spacers to move them out, to take care of the center hole issue. And the offset difference. Anyone done it yet? Got 3 sets of 20” tires just sitting

I have 5th generation 18" Explorer rims on my 2003 Explorer Sport. My Sport is the same offset and specs as the 2nd generation Explorers. They required special custom centric hub spacers since offset is different, plus center bore is also different between the generations. I got them from Motorsport Tech in Nevada. You will not find these custom spacers on Ebay, believe me I looked. If you go to motorsport-tech.com website, you can configure the spacers online and get a price. They are not cheap but worth your wild if you want to update your rims to the newer generation. My spacers are 1.25 inch thick.

I have 5th generation 18" Explorer rims on my 2003 Explorer Sport. My Sport is the same offset and specs as the 2nd generation Explorers. They required special custom centric hub spacers since offset is different, plus center bore is also different between the generations. I got them from Motorsport Tech in Nevada. You will not find these custom spacers on Ebay, believe me I looked. If you go to motorsport-tech.com website, you can configure the spacers online and get a price. They are not cheap but worth your wild if you want to update your rims to the newer generation. My spacers are 1.25 inch thick.
Hey there--you still on this forum? Was wondering if I could get the exact specs you had built? looking at 5th gen wheels on a 2nd gen...

Hey there--you still on this forum? Was wondering if I could get the exact specs you had built? looking at 5th gen wheels on a 2nd gen...

Still around here. It's been a while since I got the spacers. I need a couple of days to find the exact size for center hub. Look The at website I listed. You easily build them and they have an interactive website.

Still around here. It's been a while since I got the spacers. I need a couple of days to find the exact size for center hub. Look The at website I listed. You easily build them and they have an interactive website.
Thanks--as luck would have it I was able to pick up some 18" jeep takeoffs with great tires for $150 so it looks like I'll just need a standard spacer. Thanks for the reply, though!

I put these exaxt rims on my 02 sport. I made a post about it. It's on here somewhere?

here is the link

Iirc, 2nd gen hubs are 70.2-70.5mm. I was researching this heavily in the weeks before I found a set of 17x9 pro comp 1079s on marketplace with the right bolt pattern and zero offset...

Back