Any tips on replacing transmission pan gasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any tips on replacing transmission pan gasket?

myf16

Reaction score
City, State
northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4WD
My 1996 XLT has a drip from around the front of the transmission pan. I bought a Motorcraft trans filter and gasket and O-ring kit to install soon. I will check the pan against a glass table to confirm that it's flat, I will use a 1/4 inch socket driver to avoid overtightening.

What are the odds that this will fix my problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it’s actually the pan gasket, very good. You can consider giving the gasket a very light shmear of the appropriate RTV. Make sure you torque evenly.

Make sure it isn’t a leak from the front of the case (pump, etc) that’s running down to the pan.

Make sure you have the right filter for your drivetrain (4x4, 4x2), and clean the pan and magnet very well with a solvent. Brake cleaner works well, so does acetone.

While it’s off, consider installing a drain plug in the pan for easier maintenance. Also, if you have a torque wrench in inch pounds, I would consider verifying the valve body bolts are still torqued to spec before buttoning her up.

Very old school tip.

When the bolts on a pan are tightened, they pull (deform) the metal around the bolt holes on the pan towards the engine. So that the metal around the bolt holes isn't flush with the rest of the pan lip when you remove that pan. This deformed metal can make contact with the engine before the rest of the pan and doesn't let you tighten any further and can cause leaks. Take the peen end of a ball peen hammer and lightly tap the the bolt holes from the engine side so that the metal is slightly deformed in the other direction (away from the engine). Now the rest of the pan lip will make contact first and as you continue to tighten the bolts it allows everything to seal up properly.

My 1996 XLT has a drip from around the front of the transmission pan. I bought a Motorcraft trans filter and gasket and O-ring kit to install soon. I will check the pan against a glass table to confirm that it's flat, I will use a 1/4 inch socket driver to avoid overtightening.

What are the odds that this will fix my problem?
Odds are pretty good that you can stop it.
1st. Try using a torque wrench before doing any thing. See if the bolts are loose. I use a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench set to 8 ft/#.or 96 inch /#.
If the bolts can be tighten up to 8 ft/#, you know that was the problem.
2. Lay out the pan gasket, too let it straighten out.
3. The new filter bolt could be longer or shorter, then the existing pan bolt. Take note if it. If the bolt is longer there is a spacer with the bolt. You have too use it.
4. I uses a concrete mixing pan ( 1\2 tub) about 24x24 or 30x30 6" high plastic pan. I purchase at Home depot About $10.. I put it in a trash bag and drain the fluid into it. It save on clean up, of the pan.
5. If you torque it too spec (8ft/#) it should not leak.
6. I hope you are planning on using mercon 5.

I use a 3/8 ratchet lightly coat pan where gasket goes with wheel bearing grease lay down gasket then apply again .
use one hand only till bolts are snug . Been doing that for 50 years.

I like to use a throw away kitty litter liner for my catch pan

Mortar mixing pans are $10 as he said and perfect for catching trans pan and fluid
I have also used under the bed storage totes from rubber maid, the mortar mixing pails are easier, sturdier and easy to pour the dirty fluid out of. I now have three of these in the shop they are so handy. I even used one to mix mortar recently! Lol

New dorman pans are good price and include a well placed drain plug

Your leak could be the front pump seal since you said it is at the front lip of the pan gasket

Good idea to drop the pan and change the filter every 60-90k miles anyways

I may not get to this for a few weeks but I degreased the pan area today. I noticed a heat shield facing the catalytic converter. It looks like it clips to the transmission somehow but I can’t see exactly how it’s attached. It might interfere with dropping the pan. Does anyone know whether that heat shield needs to be removed and if so how to remove it?

The converter has its own shield. This one is a few inches from the converter but right next to the transmission.

Oh, and how many quarts of Mercon V should I have on hand for refilling?

6 quarts on hand for pan drop

The heat guard clips on and also has one 8mm bolt up high
The heat guard can be bent out of the way and then later bent back

I may not get to this for a few weeks but I degreased the pan area today. I noticed a heat shield facing the catalytic converter. It looks like it clips to the transmission somehow but I can’t see exactly how it’s attached. It might interfere with dropping the pan. Does anyone know whether that heat shield needs to be removed and if so how to remove it?

The converter has its own shield. This one is a few inches from the converter but right next to the transmission.

Oh, and how many quarts of Mercon V should I have on hand for refilling?
My heat shield just clip on the side of the pan.
You need to reinstall it because of the heat from the cat.
My OEM shield rusted away. now I have a replacement.
I used only 4 qts.
What I do, is measure what I take out.
I used 2 liter soda clear bottle. I fill them too the top of the round portion of the bottle. You could before the start of the service. Fill the empty clear bottle up with 2 qts of water mark the bottles, fill mark with a sharpie. You are all set now, Fill them with the used tranny fluid. (410 state 3 bottle). The soda bottle caps, when you tight the cap on the bottle, seal tight.
Now can put back what you take out +/- what you spill. Hopefully it clean and workman like manner.
Anyone can be messy. doesn't take any talent.

I have 6 quarts on hand because the pan will hold 3-4 and then however long you let it drip plus the v8 converter has a drain so best to change its fluid as well

Nothing sucks worse then needing 6 qt and only having 4 on hand, more is better

Level is checked with dipstick warm truck at idle in park

I also add a bottle of red lubeguard with each transmission fluid change and if it is my personal truck I always add a drain port (or buy dorman pan that includes one)

Having a drain on the pan AND converter in these trucks makes transmission maintenance a pleasure. My V8 has both and my V6 has neither…

Thanks for all the tips. I completed the pan replacement without incident about 3 weeks ago. I think the dripping has been eliminated.

It's great to have super clean trans fluid on the dipstick. I needed about 3.5 quarts from my 5 quart bottle of Mercon V (from Amazon) to get it back to the correct level. I bought a Motorcraft gasket and strainer kit on eBay and it fit perfectly once I was able to flatten out the cork gasket somewhat. Because I don't expect to drive this vehicle more than another 50,000 miles in forever I did not attempt to install a drain.

Back