Any trick in getting plug wires off? (96, V6) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any trick in getting plug wires off? (96, V6)

Flye

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I've got 163k on same (original) spark plugs and wires. I've gone to the "easy" plug and can NOT get the plug wire off, so I can't imagine what the hard access plugs would be like? I do a fair amount of "maintenance" work, including some fairly decent muscle car restoration so I'm not a total beginner, but for the life of me, I can't get the plug wire off. Before I snap the wire or break the ceramic, I thought I'd ask if I'm missing something simple about the plug wire, or the "snap fit" that perhaps I'm not doing or didn't know. And I've even tried one of those useless NAPA plug wire removal tools, which would probably work if the motor was on an engine stand.

'96 stock, V-6, 4WD

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flye said:
I've got 163k on same (original) spark plugs and wires. I've gone to the "easy" plug and can NOT get the plug wire off, so I can't imagine what the hard access plugs would be like? I do a fair amount of "maintenance" work, including some fairly decent muscle car restoration so I'm not a total beginner, but for the life of me, I can't get the plug wire off. Before I snap the wire or break the ceramic, I thought I'd ask if I'm missing something simple about the plug wire, or the "snap fit" that perhaps I'm not doing or didn't know. And I've even tried one of those useless NAPA plug wire removal tools, which would probably work if the motor was on an engine stand.

'96 stock, V-6, 4WD

Thanks.
I reality at your miliage, perhaps it is time to consider a new set of plug wires, maybe just trash them off, get a new set, coat the new plugs with a little dialectric grease for easy removal next go around.JMHO

I spent two hours just removing my plug wires(99SOHC, 77K). The #3 plug can only be reached from underneath. I believe that there must be a proper tool to get a tight grip on the wires to loosen them. I will change my wires when I get the body removed.
Good luck,
DonW

pull pull hard, and what he said time for new wires

Hopefully you are trying to go thru the wheel wells.

What they said ^^^^ plus - have some new ones (plugs and wires) and then just reef away - who cares if they break - just get them out of there!

They are WAY overdue.

take them off the coil and off the clips then just rip em out

Billy177 said:
take them off the coil and off the clips then just rip em out

Thats what I did. As long as you can get a socket on there is all that counts. I was able to get all but one from above on my OHV when I had it.

Just twist to break the wire free, and pull... but if they've been on there that long, you can surely count on the boot to be brittle and crack, so invest in new wires. I also don't believe there is any better way to remove the right side plugs on a SOHC than through the wheel well.

This is OHV motor, and the problem wasn't access (on the one I tried), it was simply trying to get it to break loose from the plug. Guess I'll just get a set of plug wires and be ready for when I destroy them. Thanks. (Oh, and I first tried to replace the plugs about 65k ago, but when I couldn't get them off, decided to drive it til signs of "issue", which I still haven't seen.) +points to Ford for longevity, -points from Ford for replaceability.

There is a tool that is mad, but it's about the size of a good size needle nose pliers - so I don't know how well it'll work in tight areas. Good luck

Flye said:
This is OHV motor, and the problem wasn't access (on the one I tried), it was simply trying to get it to break loose from the plug. Guess I'll just get a set of plug wires and be ready for when I destroy them. Thanks. (Oh, and I first tried to replace the plugs about 65k ago, but when I couldn't get them off, decided to drive it til signs of "issue", which I still haven't seen.) +points to Ford for longevity, -points from Ford for replaceability.

No points awarded... It is just the computer self-adjusting for the worn parts. You will start cussing Ford very soon when the resistance of the electrical system starts frying the computer or the module... :thumbdwn:

All that "extended service interval" new stuff is BS. There are better parts and better computers that adjust for the parts, but overall, you still need to change consumable components on a regular basis for the best running vehicle. The computer just hides the symtoms until they REALLY cost you money.

Ford Platinum plugs in a 98 SOHC

-the bad
The plugs and wires were irritatingly difficult to get out, and the plug wire routing was so obnoxious the Ford garage didn't put the wires back in the clips (great warranty work from Razzari Ford, NOT).

-the good
My guilt at waiting beyond the 100K service interval (106K) to change the plugs went away when I looked at them. I'm sure the ignition wires needed changing, but the plugs looked very, very good. Shocking, really. Didn't make the mistake of buying Bosch +4's like I did for my 97 Ranger, just bought good quality platinums to replace them, and could have ignored them for another 50K at least.

I had a 67 Barracuda hand-me down in high school, it needed plugs and (dual)points every 3,000 miles, so this long interval stuff still bugs me. Just freaky how great those plugs looked.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Back