Anybody have experience with 06'+ 4.0 engine swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody have experience with 06'+ 4.0 engine swap?

mmasire88

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer XLT
I'm looking for anybody that has experience swapping a 2006+ 4.0 sohc motor into their explorer. My motor suffered chain/guide failure late last year, with damaged internals. After crunching some numbers I've decided that it's considerably cheaper buying a 2006+ lower mileage 4.0 motor out of a mustang/explorer/ranger into mine.
With the colder season ending here soon in southern Indiana I'd like to pick up a motor and get my explorer back on the road. However, I'm hoping somebody with experience can chime in and perhaps help me with some of the specifics.

Some of the more important questions I have pertaining to the swap:

Does it matter whether the motor came out of a manual or automatic? I'm only asking because I know certain cars, like my audi's 1.8T motors actually have different crankshafts depending on whether the transmission is an automatic or manual.

Does the motor have to come out of a 4x4 for balance shafts?

Which injectors/spark plugs do I use?

Which flexplate/flywheel?

My explorer is a flex fuel, does the new motor also need to be flex?

Any significant changes in vacuum lines/crank breather hoses?

Which crankshaft pulley do I use?

I''ve read a few posts on this swap and from what I understand it's fairly straight foward. However, nothing I've read has answered these questions. For the most part it's just swapping everything from my old 4.0 onto the new one. Intake mani, exhaust mani, fuel rail, accessory brackets etc. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing you can use is the long block, timing cover and balancer. The intake manifold, injectors, wiring is all different. My girls 04 explorer has been running an 07 ranger engine for over 50k mi now.

Needs to have an E or a K on the block to work. As for the swap its a days job to remove and a days to put in if you are doing it yourself, and as boomin said you need to keep your own intake, exhaust manifolds and electrical. Also the 4x4's are the only ones with the balance shaft. Same balancer on both all so no worries on that.

I appreciate the info guys!

The only thing you can use is the long block, timing cover and balancer. The intake manifold, injectors, wiring is all different. My girls 04 explorer has been running an 07 ranger engine for over 50k mi now.

Is your girls explorer a 4x4? Also, do you know if the ranger motor came from a 4x4 ranger? I'm mostly interested at this point in whether or not getting a newer motor from a 4x4 with balance shafts is completely necessary. I can't find any posts that address this. I've read a couple of posts where people have swapped mustang 4.0s in their Ex's, however, I do not know if their Ex's were 4x4.

It is 4x4 and I picked up the motor from an 2wd ranger. It does have a balance shaft and I have found that just about every 4.0 engine after 04 comes with one.

So, I'm looking at the newer 4.0's and was under the impression the newer models had in some way better/stronger/improved chain/guide assemblies. However, they look identical? What exactly are the advantages of going with a newer motor? Rather than rebuilding my current motor? I can rebuild the heads, have the crank turned with new bearings, and new rings for considerably less money considering I already have an extra timing chain kit + the otc 6488 tool set to do the chains.

Going with a newer motor would be less work and much quicker to getting my explorer back on the road, but I think I could rebuild my current engine for a considerably lesser amount of money.

No difference, your 06 will have all the upgrades to the timing that do nothing anyway. If you can rebuild it for less and have the time I would take that route myself. This thing is a major time suck, it took me close to 2 months just to replace the chains in mine (draining the oil to cranking the engine), between waiting on parts and 2 kids in sports time is a killer. Mine is actually an early 07, but the parts list for the powertrain is identical to the 06 explorer.

I've heard that retiming these 4.0's (not just swapping chains and guides) is next to impossible. I'd go with the newer motor.

Its not if you take your time and are careful. The OTC kit is pretty much fool proof. It took me about 2 hours, double checking each step to make sure it was done properly, once everything was apart. He already has the timing kit.

I appreciate the info guys. My truck is actually an 04'. I meant to type 05+ motor swap in the title, thinking the 05+ motors had some sort of improved chain/guide assemblies. After a bit of thought, I'm going to pick up a 2005+ mustang 4.0. The price of oem parts for this motor are really high. A set of OEM pistons are a little over 100$ each, which I'm sure there is damage to at least some of the pistons as the failure happened while the engine was running. At this point, I'd rather get a low mileage motor and put it in! Also, mustang motors seem to be quite abundant here in Indianapolis, IN. I found one locally with 43k miles for $900, I think this one is the winner.

They had upgraded the main chain tensioner in 05 models. I late 06 or 07 they went to the white timing guides and that is what you'll receive if you order chain guides directly from ford. The 07 ranger engine I used had them but an 06 mustang engine I used in another truck had the orange guides. Both engines are still running with no issues granted they both still have under 100k on them.

I have these engines down to a science. I can pull a 4.0 sohc out of any year explorer, do all 4 chains and all gaskets including rear main seal, drop it back in and have it back running within 48 hours. It does help I have a shop with a lift and every special tool needed to make the job gravy.

This truck isn't my daily currently, when it failed I went out and purchased another vehicle as it was right before winter when it died -__- and I absolutely hate working in the cold. However, I do have all the necessary tools, the old engine is all torn down, and literally hanging in by the motor mounts at the moment, just waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit.

I've been debating whether or not to pull my transmission out while the motors out and have a shop take a look at it, perhaps rebuild it. I believe I read up on some issues with reverse, and there are some improvements that can be done to help counter this issue. Mine every once in a while feels like it falls out of gear in reverse, and slams back in. It's only done it once or twice since I've owned the truck though. Other than that, it drives literally like a brand new truck.

Figured I'd update my post a bit! I finally picked up a new motor for my ex today. Found a part out here locally of a 2008 ford mustang 4.0. I basically bought the entire front clip(motor/trans/frame rails/wiring harness/subframe/rack and pinion/control arms ect)...I wasn't expecting that, nor was I properly equipped to handle loading this but I prevailed and made it work! I now have a 2008 ford mustang front clip in my yard :S My neighbors are going to hate me when they wake up and see that monstrosity sitting in my yard. I picked the whole thing up for 750$. The car had 90k miles. Going to sell the trans and everything I do not need, and hopefully I can nearly break even. Inside the valve covers look wonderful compared to my old explorer motor. Nice, clean, not sludged up, not even oil stained!

very easy swap. i have done a few of these and the mustang engine is a good substitute. and for whatever reason they seem to be more readily available than the x's, or at least they are in my area. have fun with it.

very easy swap. i have done a few of these and the mustang engine is a good substitute. and for whatever reason they seem to be more readily available than the x's, or at least they are in my area. have fun with it.

It hasn't started out well to be honest, removed the valve covers and the right cassette is already broken on the mustang and it has not even reached the 100k mark yet!

you gotta be ****tin me. i have changed cassettes without the use of the otc timing tool. you have to be very, very careful when doing so. sounds like that may be the route you need to go. without the tool, there can be ZERO movement of the chain or the sprocket in relation to the cam or you're sunk. i have a brief write up on this somewhere. search my handle and you should find it.

I have a brand new OTC tool kit I've had for about 6 months now. My plan originally was to rebuild my old motor, but after doing some research, it was significantly cheaper just buying a nice used newer mustang motor. I also have an autoparts4usa timing chain kit. However, I'm not satisfied with the quality so I ordered and just received my OEM ford right cassette, chain, sprockets, and jack shaft bolt. Unfortunately, I don't have the correct socket for the jack shaft bolt, so going to do a quick run to harbor freight tools today, so I can get the new cassette in tomorrow and finish swapping everything over to the motor.

Sounds good. Keep us informed! And good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back