Help - Unexpected Modification Needed for Installing Hood Struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Unexpected Modification Needed for Installing Hood Struts

EarthBoundX5

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU 3.7L
I had been debating getting struts from China vs the Redline ones, as they claim no need to drill. Finally I pulled the trigger on these for my 2014 PIU.

I got them, and after incredible amount of BS, I was able to figure out where and how to mount them. Went to close the hood, and bam! Obstruction. Unable to latch! Awesome...

So I'm at a decision point...

1. If I take off the mounts on the hood...I'll end up having to deal with somehow removing the female end I had to fish in and magically screw into...so I can only really cut off the mount and leave the bolt to the hood.

OR

2. I need to cut out a piece of the headlight mount so that the strut mount is not hitting anything. However...I don't know if there is any issue in doing this that might affect the integrity of the light in terms of stability or giving a means for moisture to enter in?

I'd appreciate anyone's advice on this matter asap. Until I sort this, I've got no car to drive.

Here is the direction of the hood and the mount
2022-06-08 20.51.11.jpg

Highlighted is the area that is causing the mount hits.
2022-06-08 20.50.51.jpg

Here is tape over approximately what I'd have to cut off.
2022-06-08 20.58.14.jpg

This is more of a front view, with the area circled.
2022-06-08 21.26.23.jpg

And I gradually move up to show exactly where...
2022-06-08 21.26.32.jpg

And here are two additional angles of the area.
2022-06-08 21.27.00.jpg

2022-06-08 21.27.07.jpg

Any advice or help or second opinions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a feeling cutting it off should be fine as long as you reseal it with duct tape or somehting (or a more permanent fix that duct tape ;) ) but at that point, wonder if its worth just getting the right ones. but i aint sure, dotn own a 5 gen

i have a feeling cutting it off should be fine as long as you reseal it with duct tape or somehting (or a more permanent fix that duct tape ;) ) but at that point, wonder if its worth just getting the right ones. but i aint sure, dotn own a 5 gen
Ya, from what I can tell, I don't think it'll be a problem to cut...but you can't untoast the toast, once it's cut, it's cut.

As far as getting the right ones...I don't know that they exist? Redline and MRT make some, but they require drilling. If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Ya, from what I can tell, I don't think it'll be a problem to cut...but you can't untoast the toast, once it's cut, it's cut.

As far as getting the right ones...I don't know that they exist? Redline and MRT make some, but they require drilling. If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction! Thanks!
yeah not sure, i was referring to the redline one you were lookin at too. i dont own a 5th gen 🤣

Why not just chalk it up as a failed experiment and get the Redline struts? Several members have installed them.

Peter

I installed Redline. No drilling. Just a cut to the hood pad for the stud. Been working great for over two years. I would cut my losses and get the ones that fit.

Why not just chalk it up as a failed experiment and get the Redline struts? Several members have installed them.

Peter
Because of my first listed issue, which is that there are stud mounts I had to put on the hood that would need to be removed to call it a day.

Removing these means either cutting them off or figuring out how to remove the female end from inside my hood so it's not rattling in there for the rest of the car's life, haha.

I installed Redline. No drilling. Just a cut to the hood pad for the stud. Been working great for over two years. I would cut my losses and get the ones that fit.
Oh, strange! When I was looking around, it looked like they only could be riveted in? The only other hesitation was that it'd be 4x times the cost for something I only kinda felt would bring usefulness. If I don't use this set I've already bought, I'd probably just not put struts in at all.

Although...looking at the pictures on redline...I wonder if I chose the wrong hood spots? There was no instructions from China, but I chose the only place that made sense based on the struts they sent. Maybe I can just cut off what I have, and locate replacement mounting studs?

I cut off the stud mounts and moved on with my life...if anyone has any ideas for how I could do it again with what I have...else I'll save for redline should I need em.

I have the Redline hood struts, not a single bit of drilling required. As mentioned, making a slice in the liner is all that is required. But I removed the liner, so it's nothing.

I am like, did I actually order a knock off Redline Hood Struts...? The real Redline Hood Struts need drilling? LOL.

I have them installed and like the others have mentioned, you only need to make a cut in the hood liner. Easy install. Works great.

Back