Anyone do any towing with your 2011 Explorer yer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone do any towing with your 2011 Explorer yer?

marc515

Reaction score
City, State
Brick, NJ
Anyone do any towing with your 2011 Explorer yet?

We're looking to get a small camper, with a GVWR of about 4,800Lbs, and are also planning on getting a 2011 Explorer, so we're looking for some feedback on how well it tows?

Thank you,...m

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 11 maximum trailer weight is 5000 lbs so its gonna be close.

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but they're rated for 5k towing when equipped with a Class III hitch and if you get the towing package, it's set up to run a brake controller.

A small camper is 4,800 lbs? How much is a big camper, 48,000 lbs? ;)

It says you have to break in for 1,000 miles before you should tow.

I'm understanding that the 5,000 trailer capacity is computed with a 150lb driver only. Additional passengers and cargo weight would reduce the overall towing capacity. Additionally, the tounge weight is 500 Lbs. If you have a 4000Lb trailer, the tounge weight is estimated at 10-15% which eauals 600lbs.

So I'm really sure what the 2011 Explorer can actally tow?

It depends on the camper. Most modern campers are designed to have <500 lbs tongue weight on purpose. There are 21' campers with just over 400 lbs tongue weight while their GVWR is 5,500 lbs.
(dead links)
Additionally, I'm no towing expert, but I understood the 5000 lbs towing capacity to NOT be subject to what you have the vehicle loaded with (within reason of course).

The hitch weights they are quoting are dry hitch weights; loaded hitch weights are higher, and can exceed the 500

I have had my 2011 XLT with Tow Package for about 3 weeks, just hooked it up to the camper yesterday for the first time. Leaving for a 600 mile tow tomorrow. Our camper is a large pop up with a Weight of around 3,000 lbs but a high tongue weight in the 450 range. First impression is that it sqauts the back end of the Explorer quite a bit and there seems to be a decent amount of bounce in the ride. Will likely invest in weight distribution to correct this, will have better feedback after the trip as we are going to Arkansas and it will get tested in the hills of NW Arkansas. Overall, love the Explorer and trust it will do just fine towing our camper

The maximum total weight of the vehicle, trailer, cargo, etc. is 9920 pounds for FWD and 10096 pounds for AWD (dead links)
The vehicle alone, in Limited trim with 302a, weighs 4872 pounds (dead links )- I don't know if that includes a full tank of gas.

Assuming you have AWD, that gives 10096-4872 = 5132 pounds of combined occupant/cargo/towing weight. In my case, subtract 380 pounds for 4 people and another 30 pounds for gear, food, etc. and the available towing capacity is down to 5132-410 = 4722 pounds. Fill up those extra seats with people and more gear and suddenly I am pushing the limit for my boat/trailer.

Can anyone explain 2011 Explorer Towing Capability?

Also, there is some weight requirement for using a weight distribution hitch. I think, but am not certain, that anything over 2500 pounds requires a WDH on the Explorer.

I have only towed with my X5 and never knew about weight dist. hitches before buying the Explorer. That leads me to ask if it is possible to have a well-balanced trailer and not need to use a WDH, even if the load is at 4500 pounds? Specifically on the Explorer as I know it was fine on the X5.

If you're properly balanced at 4500 lbs, you won't have a problem towing with the Explorer. I just did a 300 mile trip through the mountains of PA with a 3400 lb car on a steel trailer without a weight distribution hitch, and the Explorer towed the vehicle extremely well. Ran most of the time between 70 and 75 mph. Even got 13.7 MPG while towing.

The current issue of Trailer Life (June 2011 issue) has a cover photo and feature article about their their test run on towing with the 2011X ! They gave it a very good rating. Check it out!

The current issue of Trailer Life (June 2011 issue) has a cover photo and feature article about their their test run on towing with the 2011X ! They gave it a very good rating. Check it out!
Do you have a URL for this article I would love to check it out!

Hey all - I pulled my 2007 Moomba Mobius and four people with my 2011 XLT w/ trailer package two days ago. I had a headwind of what felt like 20-25 mph gusts. Boat and trailer weigh in at 4000 lbs. Tounge weight (without a full fuel tank) was ~420 lbs. Here is my take: The wind made going up hills (ok - not many in central Illinois) slow - but hey with a tower on the boat and 20-25 mph winds that would be expected. I did pass someone going up the hill, but then I was in 3rd gear too. Flat surfaces weren't a problem - but the tow mode button kept it in 4th gear for too long. I manually had to put it in 5th which is kind of a pain. I have previously pulled my boat with my father in-laws HD Diesel Truck - obviously there is a difference between that and the Explorer. I really want to give it some more time before I make my final judgement - but as someone noted previously - more low end torque would help. Hmm - when will the performance chips be out :) Any other feedback?

Little late with the feedback, but last week used the 11 Exp FWD to tow my 3,000 lb camper 600 miles from IA to AR in the "Tow Mode". Disclaimer - there was a significant headwind (20-25 MPH?) and I am hoping/expecting these numbers will improve, but overall the Exp achieved 13.5 MPG for the Trip at 69 MPH. As previously mentioned, we definitely need a WDH as it does squat the rear end significantly and I had no other people or gear on the trip. The Exp handled the load beautifully with cruise on. Didn't hunt for gears, was relatively stable considering the wind and had plenty of power to pull the Ozarks. Very happy with the performance thus far but hoping to get north of 15 MPG in "Normal Conditions", but I will take the 22-25 MPG I have been seeing on the highway
anyday over a MPG or two towing.

For comparision, my previous tow vehicle - 2007 Tahoe 4WD achieved approximately 12-13 MPG towing the same camper and 16-18 when not towing. Again, the Exp is winning in almost every regard. The Tahoe was probably a little more stout for towing, but the Exp is fully adequate!

We had our first camping trip this past weekend, and the explorer worked great. We had a 250KM trip (pretty flate roads) each way, mostly 4 lane highway, mixed with some stop and go city driving, and country roads. No issues whatsoever with the vehicle. We have a 10 foot coleman camper, loaded pretty heavy and 4 people in the car (2 adults and 2 kids).

1. Tow mode is good for the city and when you are stopping and going a lot, however, I shifted out of it for highway cruising to gain fuel economy - the tranny will stay in 5th with it on, but as soon as you disengage it goes to 6th and RPM's drop to about 2K at 100KM/hr (63 MPH)

2. The trailer loaded weighs in at about 3,000 - 3,000 lbs loaded with a 250lb tongue weight and their is no noticable issues hooking it up and squatting the back end. it seemed like it may have dropped 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch if that. I use a 4 3/4 drop and the trailer sits very level.

3. The height of the EX allows me to see out of the rear mirror easily and the wing mirrors serviceable. The little Blind spot mirrors really help and are an addedd bonus.

4. Fuel economy does not suffer as badly as I would have thought. Our EX is new, only 1800KM when we started, and were averaging 11.6 l/100Km and the trip calculator for the 620KM we drove this trip was 12.2 l/100Km - thus it didn't do too bad. I did find that once you went over 110KM/HR the ecomony did suffer and the engine did have to work harder, especially when even going up slight inclines.

5. Stopping was not an issue, especially with a Brake controller installed, it makes slowing done effortless, and you really don't know the trailer is even there.

6. My only complaints would be on bumpy roads, if you are travelling a little too fast the firm suspension does cause the trailer to jump around a bit, but nothing major. The reverse sensing system is a pain when backing up, as you need to manually overide the sensors each time you reverse after stopping and starting the vehicle.

overall, teh EX worked great. Not sure why they are recommeding a WD hitch for over 2,000 lbs. I think that is overkill, However, if I was towing over 3,500 lbs with a fairly heavy tongue weight I would definately consider.

I hooked up my enclosed 7X14 twin axle V-nose trailer this morning and took it out for a drag.:D

The Ex hauled it without issue. My Tekonsha Prodigy controller plugged right into the cable I bought and works like a champ. I put some velcro on the mounting bracket, and the other piece just under the Tow button on the left side. Works just fine.

I'm impressed. According to the MPG calc, I was getting about 12 while pulling about 3,000 pounds at 65 to 70 mph.

The one issue I have yet to resolve is fitting a set of extension tow mirrors. The CIPA universal mounts I have don't work due to the wide rib running down the center of the Ex's mirrors. Have to find a different set that will work to get a better view of what's behind me.

It would be really cool to have a camera you could mount on the trailer and then plug into the video and get a pic on either the main screen, or one of the 4.2's !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back