• Register Today It's free!

Anyone done a bed BOX extension?

desertland

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4X4
I've seen the bed extension bars. Not going to go that way. Now that my spare has to ride in the truck bed I need to work on a cargo box that rides on the tailgate when it's down. Just wondered if anyone has done some thing similar.

Right now there are two 2x6's 52" long and set them in the molded in cradles on the wheel wells. My spare sets on that. One side is notched so a 5 gal gas can rides nest to it. On the other side is a 20MM ammo can with odds and ends in it. Under the 2x6's I have a tool box with all my recovery gear and some tools.

Built a drop in place basket that covers the back half of the truck bed. Things can be tossed in the basket and still have full bed length / width under it other than the space used by one tool box.

Like the bed extension bar set, it is not intended to ride there all the time. Just when needed on weekend trips and such.

Saw a nice extended or drawer a guy made for his truck. Used wood, square tubing and wide roller skate bearings. Nice job. Sorry i don't have the link. Dave p.

Back