Anyone ever rebuild their alternator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever rebuild their alternator?

NewTrac17

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4X4
So this last week my alternator started squeaking really bad and is driving me crazy. My 2004 sport trac (date is 03/04 if that helps) only has 61,000 miles so I might just rebuild it. I think it only needs the bearings but maybe buying a whole rebuild kit is smarter.

Here is a site I found that sells kits: http://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/

Anyone have a place they have used to buy a rebuild kit and have a model number? Maybe I will just take it apart this weekend and go to a local place that sells bearings. My alternator is a 3G because it was built in March of 04 right?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

There is an old school shop in town that rebuilds them at a reasonable price. That is where i go. They only change out what is bad and test everything else. See if there is one in your area. Sometimes you need a press to change out bearings.

Years ago we were out of town for a car show and the alternator (or generator?) in my friend's '67 Falcon went out. We found a Chrysler dealer. Their service dept wasn't open, but a couple of guys happened to be there. A guy with only 1 arm took it apart, replaced the bad parts, and reassembled it - all in about 10 minutes. It took us longer to get it off and on the car, and there wasn't anything in the way.

If I ever rebuilt one it was too long ago to be of any help now.

There is an old school shop in town that rebuilds them at a reasonable price. That is where i go. They only change out what is bad and test everything else. See if there is one in your area. Sometimes you need a press to change out bearings.

I will have to look into finding a local shop to possibly rebuild mine. What did yours cost?

Back