anyone ever rebuilt the 91-94 tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone ever rebuilt the 91-94 tranny

Adam Foote

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hey i was just wonderin if anyone has rebuilt the 91-94 tranny... i have it out of my ride... pondering on if i want to do it myself (im an automotive technician(in school)) and ive rebuilt trannys before.. but usually chrylsers. i was also wondering if i needed any special tools that would be dealership only items. thanks for the help. bye

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The a4ld is a tricky beast. Even tranny shops rarely do them correctly. Perhaps there is someone at school that can help you out with this?

Look at it this way

If you can't, you should look for a new profession while you are still young.

that actually sounded kinda rude... but i dont specialize in trannys... sooo yeah... i do more suspension and front end... but whatever

Originally posted by Adam Foote
that actually sounded kinda rude... but i dont specialize in trannys... sooo yeah... i do more suspension and front end... but whatever
I thought that too:(

your attending an automotive tech school, so im sure some of your friends can help, and if you reach a snag, im sure you can also ask one of the teachers for a little guidance or assistance. Ig you dont mind taking the chance not doining it right and having to redo it.... than give it a shot. it will be a GREAT learning experience. And yes what ha said was very rude.... also very nice truck i looked at your webpage

PEACE

Not rude at all

Many people spend their lives in professions that they neither enjoy or they have an aptitude for. Sadly, one of the strongest driving forces in our lives is fear. Like Yoda said. There is do and not do. There is no try. I can not imagine wondering if you can rebuild a Ford automatic if you have ever taken any automatic apart. The simplest repair can turn into an unbelievable problem when parts and bolts break or freeze. You can't let fear of the unknown control you. You use your training to acomplish a goal. Sorry if you think that is rude.

Im trying to see stuff from your point of view... but i cant get my head that far up my ass. read my post again... im pretty sure i didnt question my own ability... i can rebuild a tranny... if u read it then u will see that i was asking if i needed any special tools... so yeah i thought it was rude...

You could do it, few tools needed though

special tools would be a pump alignment tool, and the clutch compressors. Get the ATSG manuals and take a look see if you can do it. If you have trans experience I would say it shouldnt be a problem. Im no mechanic and it was nothing special to remove and replace assemblies and seals. Tedious to keep everything in order. If you have experience judging parts condition you should be fine.

Adam, FWIW in my view your first post gave the impression that you lacked confidence. In my experience anytime a "but" enters a conversation its a flag. Its a CYA word. I never hired/will hire a "but" guy. I can "but...", I wont "but..." Ill be there, "but..." Ill pay you "but..."
I dont know if you intended your post to sound that way or not- sounds like not. I think Opera picked up on it and interpreted the " but most were Chryslers" as weakness or lack of confidence.

well thanks for all the advice guys.. sorry that it turned into an argument of some sort.. but anyways.. thanks again
Adam

Back