• Register Today It's free!

Anyone running 31's with 5" lift?

Capman2k

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger XLT
I got my lift kit finally... instead of 4 inches, I'm going to raise my 91 Xplorer 5 inches...

Since I didn't bother to save any money for bigger tires, it's going to be a few months before I can replace my 31's with 33's...

Has anyone else run 31's with a 5 inch lift? How will it affect my performance? And does anyone have any pics so I can see just how goofy it looks?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran mine like that last winter because my snow tires were 31's. It looks really stuped but it drives pretty good though. I think it actually drove better with the 31's than the 33's :) I didn't take any pics because I thought it looked to embarrassing ;)

Capman, depending on what you plan on using your Exp for, the 31's may actually be better. beleive it or not, a 31" tire is the largest you can run & not have the tires rub at full compression. I had my Exp set up for the desert, and if I had run a larger tire I would have had to limit my compression wheel travel. although a larger tire does help smooth the terrain, & gives you a larger contact patch, it's also harder to meke them clear without lowering your bump stops & limiting wheel travel. Also, if you're using stock brakes (which most of us are), they don't work as well with the larger tire. The larger tires are also harder on all your suspension and steering components. In my case. the benefits of a larger tire didn't outweigh what it took away from the overall package-and I know it didn't look as good as it would with larger tires, but for some reason you stop caring about what your truck looks like when no one can keep up with you through the whoop section....Like I said, it all depends on what you're doing.....

Capman, depending on what you plan on using your Exp for, the 31's may actually be better. beleive it or not, a 31" tire is the largest you can run & not have the tires rub at full compression. I had my Exp set up for the desert, and if I had run a larger tire I would have had to limit my compression wheel travel. although a larger tire does help smooth the terrain, & gives you a larger contact patch, it's also harder to meke them clear without lowering your bump stops & limiting wheel travel. Also, if you're using stock brakes (which most of us are), they don't work as well with the larger tire. The larger tires are also harder on all your suspension and steering components. In my case. the benefits of a larger tire didn't outweigh what it took away from the overall package-and I know it didn't look as good as it would with larger tires, but for some reason you stop caring about what your truck looks like when no one can keep up with you through the whoop section....Like I said, it all depends on what you're doing.....

Prerunnersvo - I didn't know all that... I actually prefer wheeling in the woods. like old rutted out service roads and stuff with trees on all sides and a nice view at the top :cool:

From what you said, maybe I SHOULD keep the 31's on there... I'll try it out and see how I like it like I said before... but thanks for the info about bigger tires :D

Capman,

You can run a 32" tire if you don't have the funds for a regear. If your differentials are regeared to a 4:10 or better, then, get the 33s when the money is there. Remember, without being regeared, you're gonna burn up transmissions, clutches, and you'll hate life. A good 32" Swamper tire will spec at 32.5 - almost the same size as a 33" tire...

-Ken

Running 31x10.50s on 15x10" rims on a 5.5 Superlift right now .... looks great !!!! u can run 33s on it tho just fine.

Would you happen to have any pics???

BTW if anyone is wondering... I decided to just run my 31's until I have enough cash for some 32 inch Dunlop Mud Rovers and some rock crawlers... :D

Back